FORUMS: list search recent posts

corrupted .mp4 files in BPAV-folder

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Göran Gester
corrupted .mp4 files in BPAV-folder
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:00:03 pm

I have camera original stuff on a disk in a BPAV-folder (11G).
I can´t open it, see it or browse it.
I don't have access to the original SxS card.

I've tried this:
-XDcam transfer software (it comes up saying 0 clips)
-Log and Transfer in FCP (with a downloaded plugin for EX1-stuff)
-CalibratedQMP4EX (a plugin for Quicktime to read mp4) gives me mac-beachball
-Wondershare Video Converter
-I took a healthy BPAV folder with one clip inside and copied one clip (the folder with .mp4 .smi and metadata small files) from the corrupted BPAV-folder.
-I did the same as above but I copied on to a healthy SxS card to see if it would appear in the camera.

I have latest version of everything, snow, FCP7, XDcamTransf 2.11.0 etc

Göran Gester
cameraman & editor
Madrid, Spain
http://www.gester.nu

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: corrupted .mp4 files in BPAV-folder
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:49:10 pm

Can you play the .mp4 in VLC?

Did you make the copy with ClipBrowser with CRC on to ensure the backup was good?

You mentioned the file is on disk, hard drive or optical disc?

Personally I'd always recommend making a backup on optical disc and storing it. Hard drives themselves encumber too many risks ranging from crashing, that they can be written to, that files, for various reasons can become corrupted over time. Those using hard drives only would ensure redundancy at some point.

In short, do you have another copy somewhere whether optical, hard drive, LTO or equivalent?

Return to posts index

Göran Gester
on Feb 24, 2010 at 3:38:43 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Can you play the .mp4 in VLC?"

No, it doesn't play in VLC.

[Craig Seeman] "Did you make the copy with ClipBrowser with CRC on to ensure the backup was good?"

No, I use XDcam Transfer 2.11.0. to convert to Quicktime that I can use in FCP. I haven't used ClipBrowser. What´s the difference? I do this job as an editor, so I just received a BPAV-folder on a harddrive. And the only back up that exists is another BPAV-folder (also corrupted) on another harddrive.

Craig, you say you store on optical disc, what do you recommend?

Thanks

Göran Gester
cameraman & editor
Madrid, Spain

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:19:15 pm

[Göran Gester] "No, I use XDcam Transfer 2.11.0. to convert to Quicktime that I can use in FCP. I haven't used ClipBrowser. What´s the difference?"
You are currently experiencing the difference. Corrupted files. ClipBrowser copies the BPAV and does CRC to make sure the copies match the files from the cards.

Obviously you still have the BPAV but apparently someone didn't use ClipBrowser with CRC to copy them. Driving without a seatbelt, you've just slammed into the brick wall at 100mph. Fatal accident. Hmm, someone manufactured a Toyota for you to drive maybe.

[Göran Gester] " And the only back up that exists is another BPAV-folder (also corrupted) on another harddrive. "

If the files are corrupted on both hard drives it's likely the copy was bad. This is the classic argument for ClipBrowser with CRC when making the first copy.

[Göran Gester] "I do this job as an editor, so I just received a BPAV-folder on a harddrive."
It's not your fault. It highlights the flawed workflow of those that provided you the files. It is always possible they did use ClipBrowser with CRC, the file later became corrupted and that's why the backed up on to the 2nd hard drive also fails. It might be a case of not expediting the backup and good files became corrupted before hand,but it sure sounds like a lack of ClipBrowser with CRC.

[Göran Gester] "Craig, you say you store on optical disc, what do you recommend? "

Good Blu-ray discs have surfaces that can withstand some blemishes. Properly stored they should last for many years.

Some would even consider backing up to XDCAM disc as storage media.

Even DVD or DVD-DL would help (make sure these are quality archival discs). While not as resilient as Blu-ray, properly verified after the burn and cared for, they can last for years too.

Key though is that the optical discs should come from a manufacturer that has done some stringent testing. Using bargain discs at the local computer or office supply store is risky.

Some high volume facilities would consider something like LTO.

I think hard drive is the highest risk because they're really designed for regular use, not shelving, they can be written over, they can crash, they are dependent on interfaces as well as the media. There's just too many points of failure. Certainly RAID and other types of redundancy can help but all that drives up the cost per GB and, of course, there's the RISK be GB, that I think a storage medium designed for storage rather than being frequently re-written to, is best.

[Göran Gester] "No, it doesn't play in VLC. "
If VLC can't play it there may be something very fundamental to the MP4 that is corrupt rather than just the BPAV metedata files. They certainly may be rescued but you may need to use a rescue service at some expense. Probably the best bet would be to send a single MP4 (or one BPAV) to a rescue service as a test.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Clip Browser & CRC
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:43:24 pm

Craig, during a general up grade I'm planning on incorporating Clip Browser into my workflow following your repeated advice. I usually download my S x S cards onto a portable drive in the first instance via my MacBook laptop. Do I therefore install the Clip Browser app. on to the laptop and go through that (with CRC checked) for the transfer? Thereafter (after making another back up) I take the clips into my edit system (Media 100) using XDCAM Transfer.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Clip Browser & CRC
on Feb 24, 2010 at 5:30:28 pm

Yes. ClipBrowser with CRC is a MUST
If the first copy is bad, you're toast. Backup that copy as soon as possible too. Even good copies can go bad.

Return to posts index

Göran Gester
on Feb 24, 2010 at 8:36:01 pm

Craig,
Thank you for this workflow classes. A great help for the future.
As you say, you can probably drive without a seatbelt for quite a long time, until...

[Craig Seeman] "Probably the best bet would be to send a single MP4 (or one BPAV) to a rescue service as a test"

Hmm, rescue service.... Who does that?

Göran Gester
cameraman & editor
Madrid, Spain

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:22:34 pm

I haven't used his services personally but he is a COW member.
http://forums.creativecow.net/profile/124945

Seems to have XDCAM EX experience and success too.
http://www.aeroquartet.com/movierepair/xdcam.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]