FORUMS: list search recent posts

Did anybody see Michael Jackson 'This Is It' ? Using EX Cam.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Thomas
Did anybody see Michael Jackson 'This Is It' ? Using EX Cam.
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:21:01 am

After seeing it on DVD. I am impress(Sony EX 1 Cam) that these camera's have a high enough image quality they can be use for Film airing and Broadcast TV.

Furthermore, you always hear that these little cameras would be a good B camera. But not good enough for a film release or nationwide TV Commercial. Now … I am sold on those cameras imagery … they were filmic and had a Highend HD look. The movie and editing was incredible. (Behind the Scenes). A lot of the filmmaking was using Green Screen technology. The stage production along was in the millions. But to see them using 2 small EX Cam instead of a full size EX Cam on the biggest concert/film production in the world … really inspired me.

In addition, The Kardashian Show was recently filming with the Sony EX 1 Cam. Usually when I watch Reality Show most on the time I see a full size camera. But this latest episode they were using a Sony EX 1 Cam. And, the quality looks great.

Director of Photography Tim Paterson was the special guest at the LA event. He shared his thoughts on the EX350 and discussed his experiences shooting the recent documentary Michael Jackson’s This Is It with the EX1 and EX3.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Did anybody see Michael Jackson 'This Is It' ? Using EX Cam.
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:55:43 pm

Certainly the EX can lead. Discovery Channel has given it Silver status for example.
It's a B camera when the budget allows for something "better," Some might choose a 2/3" or even larger now for an A camera for example. Of course the 350EX now has the 2/3" chip range covered. Some might want a hardier codec but the Nano helps in that area and their are means to record uncompressed or ProRes from it as well. The EX is extremely versatile with extremely high resolution chips.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:16:04 pm

I love the EX-1. All things considered (cost vs. quality), it's probably the best camera to come along in ten years!

How much of "This Is It" was shot with the EX's? I thought they were using a RED.

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:33:18 pm

I believe Tim Patterson said that 92% of the film was shot with the EX1 camera, the of 8% was from many different sources including SD cameras.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 25, 2010 at 2:36:32 am

I was wondering about that. Much of the film looks pretty decent but occasionally it pops into fairly horrendous looking SD and then back out again- especially noticeable on Blu-ray. It's obvious the footage being shot was never intended for public release. Interesting peek inside the world of rehearsals though...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]