FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX footage and Pinnacle Studio

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Mears
XDCAM EX footage and Pinnacle Studio
on Feb 23, 2010 at 2:58:29 pm

So my client has a selection of XDCAM EX footage that they want to edit in-house using their PC and Pinnacle Studio. Naturally, they can't use the XDCAM native footage, which they have. I need to figure out a way to either get them to convert the footage to something usable or to get Pinnacle/their PC to read the XDCAM codec.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: XDCAM EX footage and Pinnacle Studio
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:41:43 pm

I'm not sure this would work but how about converting it to HDV? Studio can read that codec.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:49:01 pm

Going from XDCAM EX Long GOP to HDV Long GOP could be a very ugly thing. I'd check first to see if the CalibratedSoftware plugins might help Pinnacle read the EX codec. In that fails then I'd consider going to some uncompressed codec that Pinnacle might handle. If the latter must be done and you are billing for the work, I might suggest your client spending to upgrade their NLE would be money better spent.

Return to posts index

Danny Mears
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:09:50 pm

OK. So they apparently have access to a Mac with Final Cut. (God only knows why they still want to use Pinnacle.)

What's the best way/format for them to use the Mac/FCP combo to convert the footage to something usable in Pinnacle and then get it transferred over to the PC?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:34:46 pm

Sounds like walking around the world to cross the street.

If they have Mac & FCP why not leave it at that? All this extra is going to be more time, more money, likely lower quality. I can't see any professional having a reason to do that.

If they're really familiar with Pinnacle (and whatever version they have as there are various with different features) then they should be able to tell you what optimal uncompressed codec they can use. Having to compress is going to be a quality hit and if they force that workflow I'd get them to sign off in advance on accepting whatever it looks like.

You could use MPEGStreamClip to make something with an AVI extension (if that's what they need) but NONE of this helps you unless they tell you what codecs they can handle.

I'm not sure if you read my other posts so I'm a bit frustrated but HAVE THEM TEST CALIBRATED SOFTWARE as I said before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]