FORUMS: list search recent posts

used sony ex 1 camera

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen hoyal
used sony ex 1 camera
on Feb 22, 2010 at 9:10:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend trying to sell me a used Sony ex 1 camera. I used to have a panasonic hvx 200 camera. My question is how much better is this camera then the panasonic hvx 200 or 170. The camera has been discontinued now so what depreciation loss will I have if I try to sale it next year. He also is selling me a letus exterm unit. I really do like that rich panasonic look that comes out of the box and it seems the sony does not look as good as the panasonic. But is has less noise.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: used sony ex 1 camera
on Feb 23, 2010 at 2:54:29 am

[stephen hoyal] " My question is how much better is this camera then the panasonic hvx 200 or 170."

Search the forum for the discussions. The short answer is the EX1 wins, and it's not even close. 1/2" 1920x1080 chips. HVX can't touch that.

[stephen hoyal] "I really do like that rich panasonic look that comes out of the box "
Grainy low light images of an SD sized sensor with low pixel count blown up?
You can paint the EX1 many ways. There's no reason to live with factory defaults. Sony is very "flat" out of the box (I don't like the word but it's easy to use) with maybe a bit too much sharpness for some tastes. If you're a professional you tweak to your liking.

[stephen hoyal] "The camera has been discontinued now so what depreciation loss will I have if I try to sale it next year."
Maybe it'll be worth nothing when Fuji comes out with a 4K camera that records uncompressed to SDHC cards and can to 1000fps records. Can you tell me what NAB 2011 will bring? The correct question is what will your Return on Investment be if you buy the EX1 today. The picture quality far outshines the cost of the camera. There are TV shows and some features that use the EX1 as a "b" or "c" camera.

Return to posts index

Brian Moore
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:47:16 pm

Yes, the sony is leaps and bounds above the HVX....in picture quality and in overall build. once you use one it's hard to use anything else with the rotatable handle, the hard stops on the focus ring (Panasonics focus ring is a joke.) you can achieve the HVX's look quite easily in post, and it will look much better from the ex1 because of the vast resolution difference

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:35:39 pm

What does it matter what the value will be next year? This camera will give you supurb pictures with a very professional range of specs to work with. If you are a film maker who cares about high standards then this is for you and there is no better value available anywhere.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]