FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flicker under certain lighting

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Fleckenstein
Flicker under certain lighting
on Feb 21, 2010 at 8:30:32 am

I notice that a lot of the overcranked and dedicated slo-mo cameras used for Olympic coverage are catching "flicker" from the overhead lighting. Examples I can recall offhand are on one of the ski hills and the indoor speed skating.

Ain't it fun when new technologies collide? :)

By the way, has anyone else gotten "wavy sensor" artifacts from hard light hitting the sensor? I had a guerilla shot in December where the footage was just fine until I had to turn toward a window with a lot of light coming through it (unavoidable) and that's when the waves started. I was under the impression that rolling shutter happened only under flickering light of a certain frequency. Could it also happen if a sensor gets overloaded with light?

Cf

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Flicker under certain lighting
on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:58:31 pm

The flicker on the slo mo footage is from HMI lighting which even in the "flicker free" square wave mode will flicker at certain frame rates. Essentially the slo motion is so slow that you're seeing the lights in the period in which the are "off". Same thing with fluorescents.

JS

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Flicker under certain lighting
on Feb 21, 2010 at 7:14:40 pm

Right, I'm aware of what causes it. Thus my "when technologies collide" comment :) I wonder what the average viewer thinks, if they even notice.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]