FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R - SD not seen by log/transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
EX1R - SD not seen by log/transfer
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:45:22 pm

I was testing the EX1R before purchase and had some questions. Shooting in HD in both PAL & NTSC worked fine and the files loaded using log and transfer (MBP, Leopard, FC7) without problem.

However, when I switched to SD in both PAL & NTSC, FC did not recognize any SD files on the card. I tried reformatting the SxS to see if that made a difference, but still neither FC nor ShotPut saw SD file in the card. I was, however, able to go into the BPAV folder, and find the AVI file and import that into a bin, drop it into a time-line and play it back. I did get a warning that the file was unsupported, but it did play OK.

I was wondering if there was a new driver that went along with the EX1R to support its new SD functionality?

As always, thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
Re: EX1R - SD not seen by log/transfer
on Feb 20, 2010 at 12:46:04 am

As a follow up to my previous note; I spoke with the folks at Able Cine, and was told that what I had observed (Can’t see the SD files on the SxS card) was correct. That Sony was working on a patch for this problem, which we should see in a month or two.

In the meantime, I was told that the AVI files that can be found in the BPAV folder will In fact play in Final Cut, but I always had the option of trans-coding them to some codec that would be happier in FC.

Typically, I would not be concerned about shooting in SD, but I will be in a situation where fast turn around of interviews will be essential, and the DV format would require little or no rendering.

I was wondering if, not unlike HDV which can be brought in via FW directly to ProRez, can you do the same thing with the EX format? Or, I could always bring along the MXO2 and take the SDI out to whatever I want. This of course negates the whole don’t need to digitize work-flow.

Thanks in advance for your collective insights.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1R - SD not seen by log/transfer
on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:15:53 am

[Jim Cunningham] "I was wondering if, not unlike HDV which can be brought in via FW directly to ProRez, can you do the same thing with the EX format?"

The Firewire port only transfers EX codecs that are essentially the same as HDV. As far as I know, the SD AVI files are also available for transfer via firewire.

Any EX1R shooting format that starts with SP is pretty much HDV.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]