FORUMS: list search recent posts

vf/lcd on ex1r

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
vf/lcd on ex1r
on Feb 13, 2010 at 7:54:58 pm

im seeing that using the lcd will be my main choice. the vf isnt that great. its going to be different, especially coming from having my eye glued on the vf on my dsr300, its so much easier to maneuver with the cam, panning/other moves on a tripod.
it will be an adjustment using the lcd instead.
maybe it will simulate the vf better using the hoodman loupe on the lcd . i take it practicing with this cam and using lcd will take some time to get good with it on moves on tripod that were easy with my dsr looking through the vf

why couldnt they have made the vf better????

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Questions only please
on Feb 13, 2010 at 11:48:36 pm

Where's the question in there? We're a more signal less noise board here- so please keep new threads to questions only please. Rants go elsewhere.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
Re: vf/lcd on ex1r
on Feb 14, 2010 at 12:00:32 am

question is how are eng users that have gone to the ex1r adjusting to shooting on sticks viewing lcd? and has anyone tried the hoodman loup and does it give the support against your eye to make panning/tilting as easy as when shoot with an eng vf.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 14, 2010 at 11:19:51 am

Don't be too tough on him Noah, he does raise a fundamental point here. I too spent years using the DSR 300 and even now miss that wonderful (B & W) viewfinder which enabled instant, pin sharp focus.

The answer to the supplemental question is yes, I have the Hoodman attachment for the EX1 LCD and it works well giving an image similar to that on the EX3 with that fixed hood which swings up. And yes, there is support with the eye piece jammed to your eye but beware, the whole edifice can move as it is not as stable as the plastic hood on the EX3. Furthermore, if you're using one of the many shoulder or chest supports that are available for assisting hand holding, I find that I can't get my eye close enough to the Hoodman to jam it in. The supports are designed for viewing the LCD from 9 inches or so. The problem is made worse for me because I'm 'left eyed'. I had similar problems in the forces using a rifle!!!

Jim, try the Hoodman, it should be an improvement for you and it won't break the bank. I wish they had proper, high res. finders on these camera but with HD that really would break the bank.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Feb 14, 2010 at 5:49:04 pm

im left eyed too, and ive heard the same problem with the shoulder brackets not making it easy to put your eye against it.
i also noticed on the one i shot with which was out of the box, that i had to turn up the brightness on the vf to +20 for it to be equal to what i was shooting
i may have to master the vf, since its easier to do tripod movementw with your eye against that.
what shoulder bracket is everyone using with it thats not a mess like the ones with a vest and double shoulder braces/handles, thats kinda ridiculous.
philip bloom reviewed one from miticorp that was pretty basic.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 14, 2010 at 6:44:45 pm

Sorry- didn't mean to be harshing on Jim. To me- the onboard viewfinders of most cameras in this prosumer class are pretty useless from a resolution POV. I'm much happier ponying up a bit more for a 7" on board LCD monitor I can get a better feed onto. It's only when you have a handheld rig this becomes more of a burden. But then again it's still light compared to the old ENG style rigs. So I'd go that way.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 15, 2010 at 9:44:45 am

Jim, the one I have been using is the Mitcorp one that Bloom reviews. I found it invaluable whilst shooting a 'making of' for a feature film. I wasn't allowed to use a tripod and in any case I was on the move the whole time and had to handhold for 90% of my shoot (35 hours of footage). I had a special attachment (also from Mitcorp) that meant I could still use a quick release from either the tripod or shoulder brace. The problem with that brace is that you don't want to be out of breath for a shot as you mustn't breathe because part of the brace is against your chest!

I still don't think you can use the VF on the Ex1, I haven't seen the EX1R yet but whilst framing is good you can't rely on focus with that quality res. In my humble opinion I hasten to add.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Feb 15, 2010 at 5:08:26 pm

I also have the rig that Philip Bloom reviewed, and I'm very pleased. I agree with Michael about the "Breathing" aspect, but it's a nice, solid, lightweight and not cumbersome option. I bought the same unit from a dealer on E-Bay for about $70. It has a different name (Sonia), but it's the identical unit.

Return to posts index

Bradley Cox
on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:13:43 pm

Do you remember who you bought the brace from? I looked up Mitcorp and Sonia on ebay and didn't find anything. thanks,

Brad

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 16, 2010 at 6:23:09 pm

The seller was naive-buyer. I just did a search for all his auctions and it doesn't look like he is still selling this item. This was the only seller I could find in the U.S. All the other sellers are in China or Hong Kong. I think there is one in Australia. Good Luck.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:46:44 am

hey michael, with regards to the lcd adaptor, im fabricating one that will work better shooting on or off the tripod.
my question is, im having trouble finding a company that makes diopters.
im designing mine in a way that similar to the ex3 eyepiece. someone has to sell that component with the eyecup/magnifier. googled but having no luck.
the hoodman is better than nothing,but not the ideal solution, especially when youre coming from shooting shoulder mounts and on a tripod, its so much easier for panning/tilting using that big viewfinder.
i will get this modification down to what everyone out there wants.
working with fabricator on the part going from lcd to viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 21, 2010 at 8:44:21 pm

Jim, don't know why you are bothering, just use the Hoodman, I don't think you'll better that yourself. At the Production Show in London last week I had the chance to play with the EX1R and I found that the improved LCD and the finder itself are both much better than the EX1. In bright sunshine though I would guess you still would have problems which means that the Hoodman, or something similar is essential.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 14, 2010 at 8:09:02 pm

[jim stamos] "why couldnt they have made the vf better?"

Believe it or not the EX1R has a better viewfinder than the one on the original EX. The EX1R has the same one that the Sony Z5 and Z7 use.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]