FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 to PMW 350

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McCauley
EX-3 to PMW 350
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:02:03 pm

Has anyone moved up to the PMW 350 from the EX-3? Sent my EX-3 to sony because of a soft focus problem with the lens and now I'm getting status back that the unit was damage by UPS. It was insured and packed properly. Bought the EX-3 a bit over a year ago and easily turned a positive ROI. Now it seems I'm in position to get full value for my old camera and am now thinking about the 350. Was able to set up the 350 and record some charts and some quick small tests. The upgrade to me was durability, better lens, 2/3" chips and improved sensitivity. Color saturation was better in the yellows when compared to the EX-3. I do a lot of two camera shoots with the second camera by a friend... its a PDW 330 1/2" CCD chip, always outperforms my EX-3 but we get by matching the cameras in post. It's probably an additional 12K out of pocket for everything I can't think of at the moment and could recover that in 6 months of production... Any thoughts advice?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: EX-3 to PMW 350
on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:08:40 pm

There is another thread from few weeks ago about the PMW 350.
There is a post of Alister Chapman that is using the camera and have done a review.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Feb 13, 2010 at 8:55:39 pm

We bought the PMW350K as our A Cam and se use the EX-3 as the B Cam.

Love the PMW350K. Image quality, build, functionality are all very good value and a major upgrade from EX-3.

Kit lens is good for the money but has a very fat barrel that impedes left hand access to zoom controls.

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Feb 14, 2010 at 11:53:44 am

I am surprised to hear that you believe the F330 to be outperforming the EX3. IMHO the EX3 produces a much better picture than the F3** series cameras.

The PMW-350 is a step up in pretty much every respect from the EX3, but then it is a lot more money. I did a camera shootout recently and you can download frame grabs from all the cameras used in the test: http://www.xdcam-user.com/?page_id=598 You can see in the grabs that there isn't a huge difference between most of the cameras but the 350 has less noise and higher latitude than the EX3. Having said that depending on your end client and how your material will be viewed they may not see the difference in the pictures in the final product. The ergonomics of the 350 are very good and it's a really nice camera to use, what I would call a "cameraman's camera". But you do also need to consider that you will need bigger, more expensive batteries an expensive charger and possibly a bigger tripod. These all add considerably to the cost of the complete package.
The kit lens is excellent value for the money, but being very short it does bring the zoom rocker close to the camera body and this does conspire with the fat viewfinder to make the rocker difficult to operate from the left side. With a standard broadcast lens this is much less of a problem.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

Patrick McLoad
on Nov 23, 2011 at 7:51:58 pm

Pat: I know this is an old thread, but I developed a professional bracket that raises the VF on the PMW-320 and 350. No problem with accessing zoom controls after installation.
If interested, contact me at mcload@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]