FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM clip naming convention problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vegard Sorby
XDCAM clip naming convention problem
on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:13:02 pm

I'm editing a documentary on Avid using AMA volume. All the folders on there follow this naming convention: 104_1253_01.

However, a couple of the recently shot SXS cards have been having this naming convention: E_--0238_02 and Avid gets the spinning ball of death and shuts down when I try and add them. Any idea why this happened? Is this something that the (new) DP did incorrectly setting up the camera? Any way I can make these clips usable in Avid??

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: XDCAM clip naming convention problem
on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:57:37 pm

Could be a user setting in the camera- a very deadly for Avid one apparenty. what happens when you try to rename them in the Finder. And can you ingest with Sony's utility instead? Finally I'd ask this on the Avid forum- perhaps there's a way to force it to accept those filenames instead of barfing.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

Vegard Sorby
on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:55:51 pm

Thanks Noah, yes I asked a similar question on the Avid forum. A workaround would be to use XDCAM Transfer and make .mov files and then import those into Avid, but I'm hoping to find a way to use the clips without transcoding.

However, I was also hoping you XDCAM people might know a way to change the naming convention of these already existing "E_--0239_1", "E_--0240_1" etc. folders via one of the XDCAM tools? Changing them via finder doesn't seem like a viable option, I wouldn't even know where to begin, and it didn't work with a quick test I did. And I was also hoping someone knew exactly how this could happen, if it is indeed a setting on the camera? (Just so I know what to tell the camera people before the next shoot.)

I appreciate any help!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:02:46 am

Really- why won't changing the MP4s in the finder make a difference? If you're not transcoding that's the only film you care about anyway.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Vegard Sorby
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:58:51 am

Hey I wish it were that easy, but Avid Media Access uses the BPAV folder structure and metadata to function. Eg. if you have spanned clips it knows how to link them together. In any case Avid doesn't recognize the folder when I change the names of the mp4s (or if I change all of the files for that matter). Unless I'm missing something, which very well might be?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:43:07 pm

I'd send a bug report into Avid. It's really embarrassing that their software crashes with a file name convention that the Sony camera is capable of generating. Not thorough enough QA testing on their part for this aspect.

Noah

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:41:29 pm

The naming of the clips is very strange. Normally you have 4 user definable characters followed by an underscore followed by a four digit incrementing number, followed by an underscore then the copy number (to prevent duplicates) like this ABCD_1234_01 yet you appear to have a dash prior to the numbers which I have never seen before and there is no way that I know of to set or define this, it's very unusual.

Have you tried copying the clips to a new folder using clip browser and then importing from there? This can help clean up any directory corruption.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

Vegard Sorby
on Feb 13, 2010 at 12:17:35 am

Thanks Alister, we tracked down that the these files came from the same camera, and this was a camera that apparently didn't accept the SXS cards that had been used during principal photography. So it's an additional camera recently borrowed from another project. We are going to contact the owner of that camera to find out exactly what was going on. For now I'm glad that I've discovered the source and can prohibit this happening again, but will update here once I figure out what caused this change in naming convention.

It looks like I will have to transcode these clips into .mov and then ingest them into Avid. Luckily XDCAM Transfer and Clip Browser can read the files.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Feb 13, 2010 at 5:56:39 am

It's odd, but I seem to be able to name the files in-camera with any combination of characters and letters I choose. The camera just increments the filenames with an underscore and a digit.

As a test, I preset it to start at 0001 and it worked just fine - at least in FCP.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]