FORUMS: list search recent posts

Open or import rescued "any_file.MP4"

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Pettersen
Open or import rescued "any_file.MP4"
on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:48:52 pm

Hi to everybody.
I have a problem that i very much need help with.
I filmed in -30 celcius with a SONY EX1 on SDHC card. Card wanted to be restored, that went ok. 2 min later I got the same message(I took for granted that it was the same message) but it must have said "media error" must reformat. I pressed the execute button in a pressed situation :(. The card mounts with a USB card reader, but the media is gone away with the dodo bird. As suggested in forum elswhere I got Data rescue 3 and File Salvage 7. Scanned the drive and got "a_number.MP4" files out of the scan. I can not open any of the files (not even with VLC Media player wich can open the .MP4 files found inside BPAV folders on the cards). I get an error message that the "moov box" is missing. Nor can I open or import with FCP, Sony transfer or clip browser. Any idea what I can do to fix this (convert the files?, or other solution? As you can imagine Im not going back to -30 celcius, far far up north to lapland to reshoot. Any suggestion are much much welcome.

Best
Jim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Open or import rescued "any_file.MP4"
on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:25:44 am

Hi Jim,
I understand that that is a precious footage.
Don't break your head and contact Benoit at: repair@aeroquartet.com
Very reasonable price and works. If it doesn't, he won't charge you.
Very interesting process as well.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Pettersen
on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:30:17 pm

Thank you very much Rafael. It is strange that I can download a 1,5 mb app for free from ONE guy in france and actually see(preview) my lost and corruptet fottage. This after spending thousands of dollars to SONY (for the camera and software developed by a heap of programmers, and lots more on File Salvage and Data rescue software. NONE of these managed to do what ONE guy in france can do.

There are two conclutions. Sony, FileSalvage and DataRescue are inept, lost behind a wagon, into cruel and unusual punishments, in the wrong business altogether.... (I have another few that are to ¤%(¤#"=?%¤# to list here) OR... Mr Benoit in France is next to god, a midas with a touch that is better than... midas, the only one person on this planet that truly understands video codecs.

Hmmm, a true conundrum, very hard to pick the right conclution of the two above.

In any case I took this job for the trip, not the very little money. That does not mean the fottage is worth any less. It just means that I`m far into minus on my account after paying for 32GB of footage restoration. Anybody want to buy an EX1 that constantly needs to restore media, reformat media, restore media again and again and.. A camera that seems not to be worth it`s own weight of it`s own advertising, so I can afford to rescue the footage?

SONY I`m mildly put PISSED OFF. There will be pigs flying before I buy another product from you again!!! Grrr!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:19:19 am

Hi Jim,
Is not that easy.
I've bee recovering files from SxS and SDHC cards and I saw different behaves.
The problem is not to recover the MP4 files, but to get that Clip Browser accept and re-wrap them.
The most difficulties I had was with the SxS cards.
With the SDHC, some times have been very easy. One time I used the services of Benoit.
There are obviously certain differences on how things are wrote in the SxS and the SDHC.
I think that may be also difference on how the SDHC adaptors works.
I stopped using SDHC cards long ago.
Best,
afael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Pettersen
on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:46:26 pm

Sorry to Benoit and readers. He is not in france but in Spain.

Return to posts index

Klaas van Urk
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:41:04 pm

I was in the same situation a few month ago. Desperate. I bought CardRescue did a low level scan searching for mp4 files. I found nothing. Then did the same search to .mpg files. I found some .mpg files of approx 1 Gb. They contained video, but no sound. I was relieved anyway because all other methods found no files at all.
Maybe a low level search to .mpg files will help in your situation too. It seems to me that the camera writes data to the card during recording. When the limit of 3,5 Gb is reached, the file is closed into a mp4 wrapper. Succes!

Return to posts index

Jim Pettersen
on Feb 26, 2010 at 5:59:58 pm

Thank you to all for info and help.

I tried to do a low level scan on the 32GB card with FileSalvage and DataRescue and found a few larger files with a slew of 4 and 6mb files.
Most of my video seemd to be gone.

I contacted Benoît Joossen of aeroquartet.com and downloaded the new 2.0 version of the app Treasure. With its built in deep scan feature i was able to recover 98% of the lost video, totally amazing! I ordered the repair kit and are now cutting the lost film into the project. :)

I had a small app problem with the 2.0 beta due to my OS version but Benoît recoded the app and fixsed the problem in record time. Great app and great sevice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]