FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jam sync TC between EX-1 and EX-3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Detjen
Jam sync TC between EX-1 and EX-3
on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:20:14 pm

Hello, I am helping coordinate a production and need to know if it is possible to sync TC between and EX-1 and an EX-3 camera. We have an EX-3 camera, and plan to rent an EX-1 (no EX-3 available from the rental house for our production dates). Again, need to make certain that renting the EX-1 will work seamlessly with the TC from the EX-3 for this multi-cam shoot.

Thanks in advance for any advise or recommendations

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Jam sync TC between EX-1 and EX-3
on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:24:31 pm

No can do. EX1 does not have tc connectors. Hit sticks or put tc from EX3 on audio track if you can read it in post

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:43:22 pm

One other method to try is to set the clocks at the exact same time, however you will need to do this many times a day as I have found the internal clocks aren't a perfect match between cameras. Then set the TC to time of day and this should help find pieces you are looking for from your production logs.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:59:20 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies. To John's recommendation: recording TC onto an audio track is something I've never done before. Does one fine a BNC to XLR adapter and plug that XLR end into the slave camera? In Post it sounds like we would also need to buy "FCP auxTC reader" from Video Toolshed. Again, that workflow, if I understand it properly is above my experience level. But sounds like it might be worth pursuing to get spot-on TC on both cameras.

What Michael mentioned sounds like what might be easier. Set the internal clocks of the cameras to match, set both to free-run or time of day, finally the operators manually start the free run. Probably not 100% match, but might be a manageable difference between the TC of the two cameras for the editor to deal with.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:42:08 am

You can not feed the EX-1 with any external TC, but is possible that you can pick the TC from the EX-1 to feed the EX-3.
You need to look for something that can extract the TC from the SDI.
There are boxes to insert TC, so probably there is something to read it.
An IO can do it but you need something portable.
Look if Horita, AJA, Convergentdesign, or so have something.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:28:54 am

Theres a software program out there that will sync up anything to anything- can't remember its name.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:55:29 pm

Syncrator?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:58:02 pm

If this a controlled environment, then use a flash camera and take a picture at the beginning of each take. We've shot a lot of stuff with our EX-3 & EX-1 and synced this way. We also set time of day or any random TC starting the TC free run both cameras at the same time. It drifts a few frames over several hours, but give you a reference of where to look and on some days they run very close. Not a clue why.

We shot for 6 weeks in Africa and just used the free run TC which was satisfactory for getting us in the right neighborhood to find sync.

Good luck.

jw

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
on Feb 9, 2010 at 7:47:34 pm

Its called PluralEyes

http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

KB

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:08:08 pm

Now that looks like some worthwhile software. Will look into it.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:39:56 pm

I do two things in this situation.

I use TOD as TC free run in both cams. This stays within a few seconds for a couple days.

And I slate each shot with a slate I made that has a big digital LCD clock on it, it is also set to the same TOD.

This way it is very easy back in the edit suite to find any clip within 1 second. Then match the clips either with the audio track or the second change on the clock.

This is almost as fast as actually having locked TC.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]