FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Power switch - poor design

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Salley
EX3 Power switch - poor design
on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:00:48 am

So I think everyone has commented on the bad ergonomics of some of the switches on the EX1/3, but I'm trying to come up with a solution primarily to the power switch on the EX3. My problem is that it gets really hard, sometimes impossible, to turn the camera in the OFF position...especially in cold weather. My first concern is the effect it has on the batteries. They get completely discharged and I've heard this shortens the lifespan and the effective time of charge. The other obvious result is that one ends up without camera power on long exterior shoot days.

I've gotten in the habit lately of pulling battery off the camera when changing locations or during lunch, but this really just slows things down.

In an attempt to avoid doing it again, I took a hot glue gun and put a small bead of glue directly beneath the switch so that it aligns with the off position. I then carefully put a bead of glue on the switch to make it bigger and easier to feel and control. I also took a black paint pen and covered the glue so it looked like it was meant to be there. I've only left the camera on one time since, and that was when it was about 15 degrees F outside. I couldn't feel much of anything!

Sony needs to do a re-think on the next design of these cameras with regards to ergonomics. A bigger switch(es) would be great, but even a small LED power indicator would alert the user to the fact that the camera is still on.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, any solutions?

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
Re: EX3 Power switch - poor design
on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:22:17 am

You have a power on indicator via the SxS card slot indicator. One of them will be lit as long as you have power on. Assuming you have a least one card installed.

KB

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:02:46 pm

I too have had a hard time knowing if the power was turned off. I have had times when I thought I turned it off and then put the camera away for a few hours only to come back to a dead battery. Thankfully I had another battery but I agree that this is my main problem with the camera. You shouldn't have to look closely to see if the power is on or off.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Robert Comforto
on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:10:31 pm

In order to make it easier to see what position the on/off switch is in, I used a white paint pen to color the small groove in the middle of the switch.

Another issue I have with the switch is that the space between each position is too short i.e., when you just want to power off the camera the switch ends up going to the media position.

Robert Comforto

Return to posts index

Brad Kopp
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:44:41 pm

my thumb is too short for the rec button!

Moto Guzzi rider
dog lover w/wife, Ex & 3 kids

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]