FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja Ki Pro (one more time)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Perez
Aja Ki Pro (one more time)
on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:55:56 pm

I know this has been talked about many times, I've asked questions before, but I'd like some more information from anyone who has it. What intrigues me about this product is that it is 10 bit, ProRes and 4:2:2. I don't care about portability as I am not in any kind of run and gun quick set up production. I will be in the field, but I will have time to set up... I own a Sony EX-1

Onto the questions...

1. Capturing - I understand that it captures in 1080i and then converts within the device to 1080p (I'm using 24fps). So basically I wouldn't know the difference and it essentially records in 1080p 24fps and there are no issues. Right?

2. Audio - I assume my Boom mic would be going into the EX-1 XLR and then use the EX-1 XLR line out to go to the device right? If I can plug straight into the device how do I monitor the audio? Is the audio better than the EX-1 if I were to do that?

3. Transfer to laptop - I would only need to do 1 transfer per day if I can capture 3 hours. If the transfer time is say 1/2 or so that will be fine. Basically I would power up the laptop, do the transfer, power it down, and delete the AJA files and continue until end of day.

4. Quality - How much better is the quality going to look compared to an EX-1 not using the SDI? I'm not doing any green screens or anything of that nature, so is it even worth buying?
If it were shown on the big screen would the quality be THAT MUCH BETTER? If anyone has link they can send me to with some comparisons, that would be awesome.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Aja Ki Pro (one more time)
on Feb 4, 2010 at 11:02:58 pm

Ben,

The use of a 10bit recorder such as the AJA Ki nPro is a way of leveraging the better quality of many cameras vis-a-vis their accompanying recorder. In the case of you EX1 it puts out a 10 bit 422 signal through the SDI spigot as well as embedded audio (assuming you connect your audio to the cameras XLR-ins). Transfer is just as you describe it only it's a file transfer so quicker than real time and the resulting quality is significantly better and visible on a big screen. The difference between 8 bit and 10 bit is 256 shades of gray (and each color) vs. 1024 shades or gradations. The bigger number rules by a power of four! While most displays are currently 8 bit, this will be changing quickly to 10 bit devices and your material shot in 10 bit will be evergreen in it's superior quality.

JS

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 5, 2010 at 12:47:03 am

Hi Ben
For your post it seems to me that you are decided to buy the Ki-Pro, even if you don't know what for.
If you have no clear the difference between recording EX-1 and Prores, you should dedicate a bit of time to reading.
Best,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:55:38 pm

Yeah it doesn't turn moonlight into sunshine or anything but ProRes is a much better codec than XDCAM EX, not too mention it's ready to edit immediately in FCP without any ingest step.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]