FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading to xdcam tansfer v2.11 will this affect my old projects in fcp 6?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Watson
Upgrading to xdcam tansfer v2.11 will this affect my old projects in fcp 6?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:47:55 pm

I have just newly upgraded my clip browser to v2.6 so that I can use the CRC function in this new version. I was wondering if in Preferences/edit/Priority in move, should I choose processing speed or data protection?

Also now that I have upgraded this I downloaded the new version of xdcam transfer v2.11 and it tells me when I am about to up grade it that: "The database at/volumes/1TB int2/Databases/Database.sqlite3 will be upgraded to work with this version of XDCAM Transfer. Earlier versions of the software will no longer be able to read the database after this has been done. It is recommended that you backup your data base before upgrading".

I have a project on another drive (an external one) this project still needs a final edit before I am finished (It is a feature film so loads of time and effort has gone into it). Would this upgrade stop me from doing further work on the project. Would it affect the clips I have already imported into that project using my old version xdcam transfer (a very old version I think). And or affect me bringing in new clips etc.

I work with a powermac and FCP 6 on Mac OS X v10.5.8.

Any help appreciated.

have fun
Kirk

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Upgrading to xdcam tansfer v2.11 will this affect my old projects in fcp 6?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 11:38:30 pm

[Kirk Watson] " I was wondering if in Preferences/edit/Priority in move, should I choose processing speed or data protection? "

Data protection

[Kirk Watson] "I work with a powermac and FCP 6 on Mac OS X v10.5.8. "

You state that you've just upgraded Clip Browser to v.2.6 but that you're on a Power Mac. Clip Browser only works with Intel Macs, so what kind of Mac do you really have?

[Kirk Watson] "Would this (XDCAM Transfer) upgrade stop me from doing further work on the project."

No, but to protect your earlier FCP project file do a "Save as" and save your project under a modified name. The database the software upgrade statement is referring to is the metadata that the program gathers about each XDCAM EX clip. Upgrading to the latest version will modify the database so it can be read by the newer version. If you wish you can make a backup copy of the old XDCAM Transfer database beforehand and then do the upgrade. If you still have all the original BPAV folders then all you have to do to recover your older database is to import all the BPAV folders again using the previous version of XDCAM Transfer. That's if you decide not to manually backup your older database first before upgrading.

[Kirk Watson] "Would it affect the clips I have already imported into that project using my old version xdcam transfer (a very old version I think). And or affect me bringing in new clips etc."

No, not at all. The newer version works the same as the older version. Once the clips are imported into FCP, XDCAM Transfer's ability to affect FCP is over.

- Don

Return to posts index

Kirk Watson
Re: Upgrading to xdcam tansfer v2.11 will this affect my old projects in fcp 6?
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:34:35 am

Cheers Don,

Super helpful advice there thanks for that. I can go ahead and install it now without the previous worries. You are right enough I don't have a power mac at all always forget what it is you'd think i'd learn after having it for a year. I have a Mac pro.

have fun
Kirk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]