FORUMS: list search recent posts

xdcam transfer problems into fcp 3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dominic ashe
xdcam transfer problems into fcp 3
on Feb 2, 2010 at 9:06:31 pm

Hi there,

I used the sony pmw ex1 to film a few scenes. I am now having problems exporting from xdcam ex to FCP 3. I updated to the latest xdcam transfer software.

I shot in 1080p at 23.98frames. I can view the video in xdcam exporter viewer but can not transfer. The message I get is this:

A clip that cannot be exported is included. A parameter that isn't supported is specified, or Mark Out is set before Mark in.

I haven't set any mark ins or outs.

I don't know what to wrap around I should use to export to FCP 3.

Any help would be great? I thought is was easy just to imput the sxs cards download and upload into FCP 3. But that is not the case.

I want my final video to be in 1080p. Please let me know.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: xdcam transfer problems into fcp 3
on Feb 2, 2010 at 11:47:12 pm

FCP3? I'm guessing you mean Final Cut Studio 3.

The clip probably was split on to another SxS (or SDHC) card. If you have both folders added it will find the spanned clip.

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:01:39 am

If you have any clips in the transfer tool with the suffix .smi they are spanned clips and you need the other half of the clip which could be on a different card in order to import it.

Failing that you may have a corrupt clip. try putting the cards back in the camera and using the "update" function in the "other" "clip" menu to update the cards file structure. Other things to try is to set out points in the transfer tool just before the ends of you clips, this helps if your files are damaged in any way, import clips one at a time to find the one that's causing your issue and when you find that break it into smaller chunks with in and out points.

Also is the drive you are saving the files to (transfer tool preferences, import) a Mac formatted drive or is it Fat32? If it's Fat32 there is a maximum clip duration of about 9 mins.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

Jacob von Kreuz
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:14:26 pm

Your files are not damaged, nor probably split. Technology still getting disrupted by stupid corporate limitations. We need smart formats and tools that will communicate. That is very typical Sony and very typical Mac, release the product of your dreams and make it very hard for you to use it.

Anyway, enough of letting out my current indignation towards stupid things like this in 21st century.

I have been trying to import all my files into FCSP3 from a EX3 of the same series you have, but the newest, and apparently what is needed is a FinalCut plug-in that will allow you to do this. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

We need smart formats.

JvK

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:01:25 pm

[Jacob von Kreuz] "Your files are not damaged, nor probably split."

Please don't make uninformed claims. The error message he reports is common to split files.
XDCAM Transfer 2.11 works fine.[Jacob von Kreuz]

", and apparently what is needed is a FinalCut plug-in that will allow you to do this."

Not True. XDCAM Transfer works.
Sony has a free plugin that allows the use of FCP Log & Transfer alternately.

CalibratedSoftware sells a very affordable plugin to allow the use of EX MP4 directly.

Please don't misinform people.

Return to posts index

dominic ashe
on Feb 4, 2010 at 9:01:32 pm

Hi again,

I figure the more information I give the better results I will get with the applied knowledge out there.

When I am in XDCAM EX CLIP Browser I can view the clips and they look and sound great. The format - XDCAM EX (MP4), Video Codex - MPEG2 HDLong 35Mbps, Format Frame - 23.98p, Resolution - 1920 x 1080. I used the sony pmw ex1 for the shoot.

When I go to export the clips (after highlighting it) what should I select to export into FCP Studio 3? My options are the many but I believe I should choose one of the following: MXF for NLEs, MXF for XDCAM HD, MXF for XDCAM HD422, MXF for XDCAM MPEG IMX, MXF for XDCAM DVCAM.

I believe I should choose MXF for XDCAM HD or MXF for XDCAM HD422.
Which one should I choose if I want the final product in Blue Ray?
Which one should I choose for editing in FCP Studio 3?

As I understand it the XDCAM clips need an MXF wrap around to run in Quciktime.

When I select MXF for XDCAM HD422 for export I get this messeage: A clip that cannot be exported is included. A parameter that isn't supported is specified, or Mark Out is set before Mark in.

I click OK and then a window pops up offering me codex detaila: Format rate of 59.94i, and unhighlighted bit rate 50Mbps.

Under MXF for XDCAM HD I get the same message with a pop up window and rate of 59.941, and a higlighted bit rate of 25Mbps.

Finally if I go to MXF for XDCAM DVCAM, it will allow me to execute but the resolution ratio of 720x 512 pops up (which I don't want), but will allow me to execute an export to a destination folder.

Any advice would be good. The video was shoot by two different cameramen. And I got an actress's mom begging me for footage for her daughter's reel.

Does this sound like the sxs files are split as referred to in this thread?

Lastly, should I just import the footage into FCP Studio 3, but when I try it the only thing it allows me to select is the following: Files, Folder, EDL, or XML. There is no XDCAM selection to choose under import.

Out of breath and you're probably thinking what an idiot I am.

thanks dominic

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 4, 2010 at 11:47:31 pm

Dominic,

You're trying to use Sony's Clip Browser to export EX clips into Final Cut Pro. That's not What Clip Browser was designed for. You need to be using XDCAM Transfer Tool. If you don't have it you can get it here:

http://support.sonybiz.ca/esupport/eSupportHome.asp

Look for: XDCAM Transfer for Final Cut Pro version 2.11

- Don

Return to posts index

dominic ashe
on Feb 6, 2010 at 12:13:43 am

Thanks Don,

You nailded it. So simple. I would have been stuck with screwing with the browser software when the transfer software was right in my face.

thanks dominic

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]