FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Input settings on Sony EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorraine McCarthy
Audio Input settings on Sony EX1
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:40:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

Im new to this forum and I would really appreciate if any sound personel out there could help me with my question.

Can someone explain the Audio Input/Output settings in the audio menu on the EX1?

i.e. Audio Input: CH1, CH2, CH1+CH2, CH1/CH2 and same for Audio Output.

What does each of these options mean/allow me to do and which one should I use?

I know my Audio Input and Output should match but whether Im using one boom mic through my mixer or 3 mics through my mixer, I dont know which settings I should choose.

If you can share your expertise I would be very grateful!

Thank you,

Lorraine

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Audio Input settings on Sony EX1
on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:59:12 am

CH1 - channel/monitor source is derived from input 1

CH2 - channel/monitor source is derived from input 2

CH1+2 - channel/monitor source is derived from inputs 1 and 2 (summed)
This option applies to channel 1, or maybe we should say, track 1 only.

CH1/CH2 - channel/monitor source is derived from a stereo input or two discrete sources, level is controlled by channel one volume knob, panning is controlled by channel two volume knob.

Monitoring through headphone output works in the same manner except the CH1+2 setting just means the playback will be mono instead of stereo.

I have the EX-3 and it's input only allows for CH1+2 and CH1/CH2 configuration. I don't think the first two settings apply to inputs on the EX cameras. It usually means enabling recording on the selected track and XDCAM always records at least two track of audio unless it's in "interval" or "slo-mo" mode..

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Lorraine McCarthy
on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:48:25 am

Hi Will,

Thanks so much for your reply. So would that mean If I have 1 mic input through mixer I can use CH1 setting for stereo, amd if I have more mics (which i want to mix in stereo) I should use CH1/CH2?

Also Ive noticed on a few occasions working with the EX1 and using a sound devices 302 mixer that when I set levels to -20dB on camera using 1kHz from mixer, I find that the next day if I test the tone again I need to reset the levels on the camera even though the dials hadn't changed from the day before. The dials on the side of the camera for audio level input going from 0 to 10, I usually set them to aound 5 for the left and the right channel (so that the camera is set to -20dB) but in the days following I might have to reset those dials all the way to 10 or set one channel to 5 and the other to ten and so on....

I dont know why I havve to reset these levels if the tone from the mixer is 1kHz everytime??? Ive noticed this with different EX1 cameras and then sometimes its ok and I dont need to change anything.

I am I doing something wrong??!

Thanks for your help!

Lorraine

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:13:49 am

[Lorraine McCarthy] "So would that mean If I have 1 mic input through mixer I can use CH1 setting for stereo, amd if I have more mics (which i want to mix in stereo) I should use CH1/CH2?"

No. Your camera essentially has 2 audio channels. It's up to you how you utilize them. You can:

• Use them both as one stereo source using either a stereo mic plugged into both channels or:
  • Two mono mics plugged into ch.1 and 2 or:
  • One mono mic and set up the EX audio to record that one mono signal to both channels.

[Lorraine McCarthy] "I dont know why I havve to reset these levels if the tone from the mixer is 1kHz everytime??? Ive noticed this with different EX1 cameras and then sometimes its ok and I dont need to change anything. "

Have you tried the same setup with cameras other than EX cameras? if so are the levels constant or do they react the same as the EX cameras? Quite possibly the volume of that 1Khz tone is being changed or you're using more mic feeds on some days than others. But normally if you're using the same camera and mixer all the time and no one is playing with the levels in between sessions everything should remain the same.

- Don

Return to posts index

Gary Chilutti
Re: Audio Output issues on Sony XDCAM
on Sep 21, 2015 at 12:36:51 pm

Hi, folks! On the Sony XDCAM (x-180), I recorded two external mics simultaneously--a handheld in l. channel and a lav in r. channel. They both cam through in the phones nicely and play back clear as a bell through the camera.

However, only the l channel mic comes through when trying to transfer the footage either by the camera's usb or via a card reader. The other channel only has ambient sound from the first channel. I set the input ch select to "Input 1/Input2" as instructed in the manual.

HELP!!! Thanks and be well. Did I say 'HELP!' ?

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]