FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R minimum focal distance and size to fill frame

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Allen
EX1R minimum focal distance and size to fill frame
on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:01:11 am

Hi everyone,

I'm hopefully picking up a new EX1R in the next week or so for some projects, but need to build something to film in the mean time.

I'm making sort of a thin fish tank to fill with liquid, which will have a light shining through it so I can film the colour/patterns of the liquids in the tank. Basically I'm trying to figure out how big I need to build the tank.

So I was wondering if anyone might have the answer to this so I could start constructing it before I get my new camera. If I place the tank at the minimum focal distance to the camera (plus maybe an inch or two to be safe) how wide and tall would it have to be to fully fill fill a 1080 frame?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.
Sincerely,
Jason Allen

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: EX1R minimum focal distance and size to fill frame
on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:29:51 am

Jason,
I'm using the EX3 but the lens specs should be the same. I assume you will be using full manual which means no macro function. The minimum stated focal distance is 2.7 ft. however, I found it to be slightly shorter at about 21.5 inches (from object to focal plane, which is more than halfway down the camera). At that distance, with the lens at full wide, the frame is right at 20 inches wide.

Although this lens has very little barrel distortion, it would be a good idea to plan on zooming in a bit to avoid any that might be revealed. Just move the camera back accordingly.

Again, This assumes the EX1R and EX3 have identical optics (other than the obvious interchangeability of the EX3).

BTW, with macro enabled, the minimum focal distance is about 1.5 inches.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Jason Allen
on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:01:19 am

Thanks heaps for that Will, thats pretty much what I'm looking for.

Just checking my maths but if it's about 20inches wide in 16x9 thatd be about 11 1/4 inches high I believe.

Just as an aside I pretty much come from using a PD170. If the macro brings focus down to 1.5/2 inches could I put my "fish tank" there thus needing a far less wide and high tank? the liquid filling it is expensive so I'm trying to minimise the volume of the tank. apart from allowing closer focus does the macro function alter things in any other way?

Thanks again Will, sorry to bother you with this. Much appreciated.

SIncerely,
Jason

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:14:56 am

I rarely use the macro function but it seems to work with no problems on standard objects, not sure if the focusing on liquid and glass will affect the function. The camera must be in autofocus for the macro function to work so you're dependent on it's ability to do that.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Jason Allen
on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:16:32 am

Thanks again Will, i appreciate your time on this.

Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]