FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Log and Transfer Final Cut Studio 7

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hill
XDCAM Log and Transfer Final Cut Studio 7
on Jan 30, 2010 at 1:14:22 pm

Hi i have been using FCP 7 log and transfer to bring in my XDCAM footage from and EX1 with no problem, suddenly it stopped working. I log and transfer as normal the footage is viewable in the log and transfer screen, but when logging and importing the footage it freezes !! I have tried uninstalling the plug in from Sony and reinstalling but to no avail.

Can anyone help me, it is so frustrating.

Running:

Mac Pro
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Final Cut Studio Upgraded to 7

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XDCAM Log and Transfer Final Cut Studio 7
on Jan 30, 2010 at 2:43:58 pm

Can you think of any settings you changed in either the Log and Transfer plug-in or with FCP7 itself? If not then my first suggestion would be to trash the preference files for both programs. This will in effect restore the programs to their default settings. If you don't know how to trash preferences files for the Log and Transfer Plug-in here is the path:

Macintosh HD>Users>"yourname">Library>Preferences>Log and Transfer.plist (or a name similar to that. The suffix should end in .plist). Drag that file to the trash and restart the Log and Transfer program. I don't use Sony's Log and Transfer plug-in but trashing preferences with any program is the way I've described it.

For trashing FCP preference files there's a free program you can download that will do the job for you. There are several preference files and using a program designed for this purpose is the right way to go. It's called preference manager and you can find it here:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

BTW, what version of the Mac OS are you using?

- Don

Return to posts index

Paul Hill
on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:33:47 am

Hi Don, i think i may have downloaded XDCAM Transfer recently. To be clear i had been running XDCAM Transfer when i was on Leopard, when i upgraded to Snow Leopard i obviously lost that facility as it did not support SL, so i started using Log and Transfer.

I thought they might have now brought out XDCAM Transfer for SL so i think i may have downloaded the wrong version and this might have had some effect on log and transfer, not sure.

Anyway, thanks for you detailed response i will give it a go now and let you know how i get on, thanks again.

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Hill
on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:23:42 am

Hi again Don, well i tried what you suggested and i decided to transfer a clip at a time instead of the 30 or so on the SXS card, all was going well but then it stopped working again. Basically what is happening is that that it freezes the mouse freezes and the transfer freezes, then i get the message.

"The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off" This seems to suggest a problem with the card reader !! But i did not suspect this as i managed to import them using XDCAM Transfer on another Mac at work !!

This is really frustrating, any ideas ! is there any other way of getting my footage into FCP ?

Help

Paul

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 31, 2010 at 7:41:07 pm

[Paul Hill] "This seems to suggest a problem with the card reader !!"

This is why it's beneficial to provide as much info as possible about your workflow. Since you're using a card reader to transfer footage I'm going to assume that for some reason it's not playing nice with your Mac Pro anymore. I don't know why it's not, but I suspect a software issue. To prove the theory connect the camera via USB and transfer your footage that way instead of using the card reader.

The fact that the card reader works OK with the other computer suggests a software conflict/corruption with yours.

Are there any differences with the 2 computers' operating systems? Is one using an earlier version of Mac OS that the other?

These are some of the questions that help us to solve your problem.

- Don

Return to posts index

Paul Hill
on Jan 31, 2010 at 7:48:15 pm

Don, I think i think i have cracked it, when i went to edit it did the same on a render, basically it froze again, but kept going with the render, but very very slowly, So i made the connection, its a problem with the raid which i use as the scratch disk, when i changed the scratch disk to another disk the card reader imported ok and the rendering worked ok.

I need to repair the scratch disk now.

Thanks for all your help

Paul

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 31, 2010 at 7:57:50 pm

Okay, good. At least we know why, now.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved