FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod advice for ex3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cade Muhlig
Tripod advice for ex3
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:19:01 am

Hey all
I there was a recent conversation for this. But I wanted to know if anyone had tried out the Sachtler 0372 FSB-4 aluminum tripod system with an EX3 or similar sized camera. It's at about the top of my price range for a tripod at $800. And I need it to be very portable/quick set up time.
The hold-up for me is the load capacity. It supports 8.8 pounds, and the EX3 is 8.8 pounds bare!
Thanks for your time.
Cade

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Tripod advice for ex3
on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:28:16 pm

I have an FSB-6 head on a carbon tripod that looks identical to aluminum one you referred to. First off, the fluid head is FANTASTIC. It's amazingly smooth. The one-flip Speed Lock mechanism on the legs is really handy for run & gun shooting, too.

I don't know the difference between the FSB-4 and FSB-6, but there's likely a big difference. The FSB-6 head costs more than that tripod system you were looking at. B&H has the FSB-6 with aluminum tripod and carrying bag (which is nice, by the way, padded and heavy duty) for $1429.

There's an old adage in the gun community about spending a lot on a scope to get the most out of your rifle...some even say you should spend as much on your optics as you did on the rifle itself. I'd agree that a similar reasoning applies to a tripod, especially now that we're all shooting widescreen HD. If you can stretch a bit and move up to a nicer head on a set of sticks rated for 12 pounds or more, I think you'd be doing yourself a favor. That tripod system you mentioned runs what, about 10% of the cost of the camera?

Cf

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:44:53 pm

I totally agree. I have the same setup and wouldn't trade it for anything. I carried it and my EX-3 all over Romania last year and was glad for the lighter weight and quick setup time. You won't be sorry if you can just afford it.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jan 31, 2010 at 3:11:31 am

The Miller Solo sticks and heads are fantastic for the EX3. I think they are now around 1,300.00 with carbon legs. Very smooth and light.

I have two of them. Oldest almost 10 years old still in perfect shape.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Jan 31, 2010 at 4:29:44 am

Thanks all
Im pretty set on the FSB-6, haven't made a purchase yet, but will likely buy in a week or so.
Thanks again

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Jan 31, 2010 at 4:35:57 pm

I'd agree - in fact, I'd go a bit farther.

A tripod is a long-term investment. Mine has been with me through two cameras and though I rent now (format confusion still at large) I still have it and it still goes out with me.

Buy the very best you can afford. There are very few people in life who will ever say "I wish I had not gotten something this good!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]