FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Transcend SDHC cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Radim Palus
New Transcend SDHC cards
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:51:13 am

Hello,

have anyone tried the new Transcend SDHC cards?
One is called SDHC Class 6 HD video card and other SDHC Class 10 (Ultimate).
I suppose the class 10 card should be faster than class 6 and so it could be better for HD video shooting.
But the question is if it really works with the camera and MxR adapter ...

The Transcend SDHC Class 6 cards work good for me but I have to be careful not to press REC/STOP/REC in a short interval because otherwise it gets stuck and media has to be restored. With the original SxS it doesn't occur, so it is a question of media write speed. So I am searching for some faster SDHC to avoid certain problems.

And other question is if it could help to improve S&Q performance? Or is the speed (frame rate) limited by the MxR adapter?

Thanks,

Radim

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
Re: New Transcend SDHC cards
on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:58:47 am

Hi Radim,

In relation to Transcend and MxR, which version of MxR do you have? Is it the newer or older one?

With Transcend - a few days ago...I started re-testing Transcend 16GB (with the red stripe) class 6 and did the unthinkable...and stopped and started recording with the red light still on, (I did this around 20 times)...to see if I could produce a media error. Believe it or not, it didn't happen and all clips are playing fine in the clip browser and I then did the same test with SanDisk 16GB class 6 HD version and believe it or not, the same thing. It didn't happen again. I'll continue this process over the next few days to see if I can create a media error. Mind you, the environment is pretty cool with air con so temperature and humidity is not extreme. In the next test, I'll film in high humidity and 35 - 40 degrees temperature to see if this makes a difference.

In regards to the difference in the class level of your SDHC memory card, class 10 or 6, with class 10 - you should be able to get faster write speed (average between 16 - 18 MB/s) whereas class 6 in Transcend - it may give you only 11.5 MB/s write speed.
SanDisk Extreme class 10 will give you on average 19 MB/s in write. So in general class 10 should be faster.

On EX1/EX3, the faster write times can improve over cranking eg SanDisk Extreme class 10 can achieve 52 fps sustained...which is probably the limit for EX1/EX3 USB 2.0 interface.
On EX1R, that interface is improved and you can achieve full over cranking with a SDHC memory card which writes at around 12 MB/s...so as you can see, speed is not everything...

eg. I've recently been testing a new company's class 10 memory card, where originally the sample card sent, would not work with the new MxM or Hoodman and the older MxM, however, the company wants the memory card to work, so they sent me a sample of the same card with different firmware. The results were that the camera was able to format and record to it and it is a class 10 memory card which gives writing at 17.6 MB/s.. but the problem we are having is media errors... and this class 10 card (sample), it is not able to over crank at all! But they will keep sending me new samples with new firmware, until they get it right.

So, what you are looking at is, the firmware which needs to be rock solid to start with. The instability of firmware will contribute to the frequency of media errors.
I hope this helps or sheds some light on your situation.

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Radim Palus
on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:15:50 pm

Hi Marek,

thank You for such a exhaustive answer.

I have two MxR adapters - the first one and last week I bought the new one. It's a good news that the new adapter might work without errors - I must try it out. Also I'm happy that it is possible to use up to 52fps with the class 10 Sandisk cards.

If You are testing some prototype which could work fine with the EX cameras, You could send a note when the card comes out on the market.

Thanks again!

Radim

Return to posts index

Ben Perez
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:58:45 pm

I have a Hoodman card and have gotten the media error a few times. I have an upcoming shoot in a few months and can't have this happen. I'm starting to think the best/safest solution is another 2 8gb SxS cards + a laptop.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 29, 2010 at 6:56:37 pm

SDHC is very safe if you get the right card. Operator error can cause the issue too. Wait until the light changes color to hit record again.

Right now the save cards are Sandisk Class 10 and ATP ProMax Class 6.
I would avoid everything else unless others have vetted and you test as I've posted before.

There is nothing wrong with a vetted SDHC. I would NOT get Transcend at this point. Even if they had a good card you may find that the card they make a few months from now with the same label may not work.

I've been using Sandisk Ultra CLASS 2 (yes class TWO) for over a year without issue. ROCK SOLID DEPENDABLE. New Class 4 apparently is not. Class 6 may not be. Class 10 is.

Keep in mind that Sony EX1R has a faster USB handler so it's even less of an issue with that.

Return to posts index

simon jacobs
on Mar 20, 2010 at 1:39:18 am

Ordered 2 MxM cards and transcend 16 Gb class 6. ad showed green stripe though they both arrived as red and are NOT recognised with EX!R v1.0 or V1.1 firmware.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]