A Sandisk SDHC card reader causes ClipBrowser to crash

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
A Sandisk SDHC card reader causes ClipBrowser to crash
on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:08:19 pm

ClipBrowser Version 2.06.00 (155.188)
MacPro Early 2008 OS 10.6.2
ClipBrowser crashes when I have my Sandisk card reader attached to any USB port. Remove the reader and ClipBrowser opens without issue.

Under a new user it still crashes so it is System related.
The Sandisk reader by itself doesn't cause the crash. A card must be installed.

It's specific to the model of the reader!
My old
Sandisk ImageMate 12 in Reader
Model Number SDDR-89 V4
Works fine. NO CRASH!
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-ImageMate-Memory-Reader-SDDR-89-A15/dp/B00064...

My new
Sandisk ImageMate All-in-One
Model Number SDDR-189-A20
Causes the crash when media is installed.
http://www.sandisk.com/products/readers-accessories/sandisk-imagemate-all-i...

How very strange given that there are no drivers installed with the device. Apparently something in hardware about the new reader interacts with USB port and ClipBrowser that causes the crash.

The only thing I can think of is that Sandisk did something to the I/O type controller in the newer reader that's causing the issue.

I'm sure I've used the newer reader before but I think it may have been with the previous version of ClipBrowser otherwise something in a recent Apple software update is involved or at least part of the riddle.

There is one other user on another forum reporting a Sandisk SDHC card reader crash but I don't have their model number yet.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: A Sandisk SDHC card reader causes ClipBrowser to crash
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:50:23 pm

I'd suggest copy to hard drive first and then feed into Clip Browser. Chances are that the Sandisk reader simply doesn't have the bandwidth for Clip Browser when loading clips directly.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:56:25 pm

Noah, I'm certain that's not the case. ClipBrowser crashes on start. Bandwidth wouldn't cause a crash at that point. It's the NEW reader that causes the crash, not the OLD reader. This would indicate that Sandisk made a hardware change in the new reader that impacts USB handshake that ClipBrowser is looking for. That would indicate the I/O controller in the reader IMHO.

The old reader works fine so that's what I used to copy the files. I would only copy with ClipBrowser with CRC on and never drag and drop.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:06:37 am

Well there's a million readers out there, I'd try another. It's a kinda silly thing to be holding up your whole workflow trying to solve.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:06:22 am

Noah, done. In my first email I found that my older reader worked fine. No catastrophe at all. I know of one other who ran into this. Old reader worked just find so that's what I used. Odd that the new one didn't work. I thought I'd post it just in case someone was pulling their hair out thinking it was the card or ClipBrowser. Switch the reader and the problem can be resolved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]