FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 realtime output to MacPro input for analysis

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McCauley
EX-3 realtime output to MacPro input for analysis
on Jan 24, 2010 at 12:27:39 am

Is there a integrative solution to connect any EX-3 output to USB input (or Firewire) on a MacPro so one could check video levels in the field with software based waveform and vectorscopes.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX-3 realtime output to MacPro input for analysis
on Jan 24, 2010 at 2:47:56 am

I'd just get an onboard monitor with waveform and vector, you can find decent ones fairly cheap and 1000 times more reliable/less cumbersome than tethering to a laptop. And if you're concerned about how the shots are looking/focusing that's key anyway. On-board monitor/EVF doesn't really cut it.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:06:51 am

"onboard monitor with waveform and vector, you can find decent ones fairly cheap"

Well I had been checking online and I seem to consistently see an entry price around 3K for the capability... which seems a bit out of proportion to the EX-3. I guess I need to qualify my interest with an inexpensive solution.

BTW I have the MBP in the field anyway ingesting from several cameras and I wouldn't been watching it all the time just when we have a scene/shot ready to record. To have a reasonably analytic means of checking exposure mostly... saturation and color if i wanted to muck with profiles and matrix... just a touch more meaningful control.

Currently a workflow would require me to record greyscale charts and color bars (Chip Chart) and ingest from each camera but that would take a fair amount of time and would just be guessing at any subsequent adjustments.

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:06:47 pm

If you set the EX to SP mode and turn on the I-link it outputs an HDV stream, so any application that can record from or monitor an HDV device would work, but only in HDV mode. You could also use an AJA IO HD to connect using HDSDi. This would work with any record mode, but is not a cheap option just for waveform monitoring.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:48:08 pm

Fast-Cheap-Good- Pick two. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]