FORUMS: list search recent posts

B-roll camera for EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teresa Brown
B-roll camera for EX3
on Jan 20, 2010 at 7:27:18 pm

I have a Sony PMW-EX3 for my primary camera and was pleased with B-roll I had been shooting on a Sony HVR-V1u. Footage from the two cameras could be matched with good results for DVD and live projection purposes. However, I no longer have access to the V1u.

I would also like to use a B-roll camera such as this to document an upcoming foreign mission trip with good results. The EX3 is cumbersome & a significant cost investment relative to travel-related hazards & inconveniences. Because I already have a significant investment in my primary camera, I can't go as far as a V1u on a second camera myself. I realize I'm asking a lot for the money, but could anyone suggest a small-size HD or HDV camera that could be workable for these purposes at a reasonable cost?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: B-roll camera for EX3
on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:30:44 pm

JVC-HM100 uses the same codec, records to SDHC, costs about half the price of an EX1r.
It's not going to match EX1 or 3 on features and it's CCD and the chips are smaller than 1/3" (let alone 1/2") but I hear great things about the images and it is XDCAM EX rather than HDV.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:01:58 am

You could also try the cheaper version of the V1U which is the Sony HC-1. It came out in '05 but is a very good HDV camera which I still use. You should be able to find a cheap one online I would think.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:28:57 am

I agree with Craig. The JVC would probably be the best option in terms of simplifying things.
If not I would go to some AVCHD based cameras. I think I would never buy HDV.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:00:48 pm

If this is for one event/project, why not rent an EX1?

Return to posts index

Eli Kabillio
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:57:59 pm

Craig is right. The JVC, for the price is amazing. I own 2 EX3s and am presently helping a friend in the exact same boat as you. He uses my EX3s when possible, but has shot the bulk of his footage with the JVC HM100U. There's a little more noise in the image at low light, but otherwise, it's the perfect tool to integrate with the EX3 or EX1 because of the codec match. Also, if money is an issue, the SDHC cards are much cheaper. The size of the camera also makes low profile shooting much easier, since without the mic unit, it's the size of a consumer camera.

Eli M. Kabillio

http://www.maddogfilms.com
MacPro 8 Core 2.8Ghz, 6G RAM, AJA IO/HD, FCP 6.04
MacPro 4 Core 2.66Ghz, 6G RAM, BlackMagic MultiBridge Pro, FCP 6.04
Sony PDW F350 XDCamHD

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:53:47 pm

Appreciate all the response. I've handled the JVC HM100 at a trade show and "wanted" one especially for it's size. Glad to hear it mixes well. Very limited rentals here... so really have to own what you need. I get inquiries to rent out my EX3.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]