FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW-EX1R purchase

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Tompkins
PMW-EX1R purchase
on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:13:38 pm

I am about to buy 6 EX1R's and I am nervous as hell about it. Can someone help me confirm to me that I am making the right decision, give me some watch outs...or even convince me not to do it?

I have been researching for a couple of months now and am choosing these over the Panasonic HPX170. I am using a Mac Book Pro 17" with FCP so I like the SxS system with the Express 34 slot. I will be using SDHC to Express card insert for cost reasons. This technology seems to work very well from my reading and my own testing.

I also did workflow tests with the SxS and the P2 and, although they both worked well, i liked the SxS better. I was also impressed with the quality of the EX1R.

Any words of wisdom or caution would be appreciated.

Bob

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: PMW-EX1R purchase
on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:40:22 pm

There is no question you are purchasing the better camera, with it's 1/2 chip set and enhancements over the original EX1 like the much improved view finder. If you need 6 cameras then you will most likely be shooting a multicamera project and if this is the case you really should be looking at the EX3. Jamming time code is not possible with the EX1r and this alone will save your post team hours of time. THe EX3 is a much better choice for multicamera productions, and they don't cost that much more.

On the other hand the EX1r is extremely easy to hand hold and it has the same chip set as the EX3. At some point all networks will have minimum requirements, the EX series cameras have an outstanding imager, but the 35Mbps compression isn't accepted by some networks. The fix this you will definitely want the invest in the Convergent Design Nano Flash. The EX cameras can deliver a 10bit uncompressed HD video signal (pre-compression) and the Nano allows you to choose your bit rate, while recording to affordable compact flash memory cards. The EX1r and the Nano will create near uncompressed HD video that any network will accept.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:10:09 pm

Thanks for your feedback Michael. I will not be linking the cameras. They all shoot separate labs during the course of the day. Also, in the long run, the quality is really better than I need already without having to stretch it. Interestingly, I received the same quote, $6,299.00 from two different vendors and that is also what B&H has it for. I guess there is no messing with Sony (like Apple).

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:21:54 pm

Yes, Sony controls the discount price on this and some other products under "XL" pricing. All dealers must charegw the same.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 22, 2010 at 1:04:33 am

You are making the right decision, at the price there is no other camera that comes close to the quality of the EX1R

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]