FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 Forum or Sony CineAlta forum?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat McGowan
EX-3 Forum or Sony CineAlta forum?
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:12:41 pm

This forum comes up under both names, maybe should be called Sony PMW Series Cam forum?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: EX-3 Forum or Sony CineAlta forum?
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:21:54 pm

Sony has chosen to categorize the EX3 as well as the PDW800, F900R, F650, F23/F35 and the new SRW9000 all as "Cine Alta" cameras. This is because they all shoot 24p in their basic sales offering, and are intended for "Digital Cinema" use. I don't see any problem in lumping them all together in the Cine Alta Forum, even though issues common to EX3 users most likely will not be of much interest to F35 users. But in these days of many diverse camera platforms it is of interest (to me anyway) to keep up with the issues raised by all these cameras in production use.

There are other forums, notably the CML, which has many hard and fast rules segregating discussions based on imager size, recording format, etc, but I see the Cow's role here as being a lot more democratic in opening up to a broader user base that I feel benefits many more people.

JMHO,

JS

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:35:24 pm

Seems like there might be some cross-indexing going on?

This is the main forum list:

Sony DV
Sony EX Series XDCAM
Sony F900 & PDW Series
Sony SRW-5500, SRW-5800

I don't see a Sony CineAlta forum until I enter the EX_3 forum and see this header:

SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:25:57 am

Actually if you inspect the CINEALTA badges on cameras like the EX1 and EX3 you'll notice its written in silver whereas the pro cameras like the F950 and F35 are lettered in gold. Believe it or not, this is meant to draw the distinction between the two levels of Cinealta. So putting that all into one forum would be a bit confusing product line wise.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 15, 2010 at 1:50:33 am

Yes, should be something like the "CineAlta-Alta" and CineAlta-Baja" Forums. Or "CineAlta" and "CineMasAlta". That sales cameras.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:13:06 pm

My original suggestion was to rename this forum "Sony PMW Series Cameras"....that would seem to make sense given there are 3 cams in the line: PMW EX-1R, PMW EX-3 and PMW 350. Ron?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:19:01 pm

Don't forget PMW-700, PMW-F800 and related decks PMW-HD1500, PMW-HD1600 and PMW-U1 Reader/Writer.

JS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:23:45 pm

I'd imagine most people have no idea the first three letters are PMW.

I think XDCAM EX are easy search terms and most people know the gear series with that.

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:47:36 pm

All this branding info is confusing.

The EX Series XDCAM moniker is fine but it might indicate "entry level HD" to some which the PMW 350 is decidedly not.

No matter. There is a lot of jargon mixed with acronyms out there!

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:42:04 pm

John, I'm pretty sure you mean PDW

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:08:02 pm

My bad, early morning grogginess. The point is that users of these types of products have a shared experience and are often called upon to move fluidly between different cameras referred to as XDCAM.

JS

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:44:03 pm

I think it pretty much makes sense as is- you don't ever see anyone coming into this forum asking about F35 or F900 settings and that would change if Cinealta were thrown into the name. Then you'd get a lot of pointless prosumer vs. pro arguments.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:09:09 pm

Not to beat a dead horse but the addition of the PMW350 (and its 2/3" sensor) to the line really changes things. Why? Because EX means 1/2" sensor to pretty much everyone.....

So, back to my original request - to change the name of this forum to "Sony PMW Series XDCAM"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]