FORUMS: list search recent posts

file management

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Kukla
file management
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:18:18 pm

I shoot in the field and dump clips to hard drives. I hand off the hard drives to the client and they go to whatever post house they choose. I'm out of the loop at that point.

What can I do in the field to make file management easier and better from the start? Having 500 clips with a bunch of numbers as names doesn't help the post process. One possibility is to download each set of clips from a scene and let script super enter scene number & take number as soon as we are done with that scene. But that seems tedious and means we have to continually run the card back and forth from camera to laptop and back to camera.

This is for scripted production, not run n gun.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: file management
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:22:16 pm

Hi Ed,

Low tech method is use slate, like in the old school film days.

JS

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:41:48 pm

Clip browser V2.6 has the ability to batch edit the clip metadata. You don't need to copy the material from the cards, simply connect the camera via USB or put the card in a laptop equiped with an express card slot, select the clips you want to edit in clip browser and go "edit" "batch edit properties" then select the fields you want to edit. The new metadata will then get written back to the clips on the card. It's very quick and simple to do.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Jan 13, 2010 at 8:01:05 pm

I'd still have to physically move the card back and forth to the script super for updating after each scene. Running a USB cable would seem difficult. Even my 25' USB cable would be limiting

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:16:57 pm

The USB would be limiting if it worked! I tried to "execute" a usb connection and it seems to lock up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]