FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Lens to make the background blur for EX1/EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PauMin Sudarmin
Which Lens to make the background blur for EX1/EX3
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:24:58 am

Dear Sir,

I Have XDCAM EX1 and EX3, I want to make the bride focus and blur the background. what kind of lens should i buy (Fujinon 1/2" S20 x6.4BERM-38) ? or can i just add a filter ?

Thanks for your information.

Thanks
PM

The Art of Presentation

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Which Lens to make the background blur for EX1/EX3
on Jan 12, 2010 at 9:04:58 am

Hi PauMin,
To get that effect is more of a technic than of lenses.
Google "Depth of Focus". This is what you gave to control to get that blurred background.
There is a lot of info because the 'DoF rush".
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 12, 2010 at 11:27:52 am

These are elementary principles of photography which in these wondrous days of digital everything youngsters have never learned. As to depth of field the main points to bear in mind are:

The longer the focal length of the lens the less DOF
The wider the aperture the less DOF

so, using the max tele end of your zoom lens, with the aperture open as wide as possible (smallest F number) will give you the narrowest DOF. In order to be able to open your aperture wide you may need to use the no 2 setting on the neutral density filter in your EX. That way your bride should be in focus and the background a blur!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 12, 2010 at 11:47:17 am

Same thing oversimplified for newbies.

Larger chips allow for shallow depth of field so 1/2" chips in EX1/3 allow for shallower depth of field than 1/3' cameras.

Zoom in all the way. You may have to physically move the camera back if you're zoomed in too close.

F stop set to F1/9. This may let in a lot of light so you may need to use the Neutral Density Filter to cut down the light.

There's a little focal length display on the EX. A thin line can indicate a shallow depth of field targeting the focal point to the length on the indicator.

Using a 35mm Lens Adaptor such as Letus can give you even shallower depth of field.

There are also "Tilt/Shift" lenses to create certain extreme in focus / out of focus plans. Sometimes it can be so extreme it looks like your shooting extreme close up of toys against out of focus foreground and background.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:45:29 pm

Craig, were you a schoolteacher in a previous life?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

PauMin Sudarmin
on Jan 13, 2010 at 9:58:13 am

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply, Now I add "EF to EX3 Mount" and used Canon 85 mm f1.2 to make the background blur and the result is ok, but i can't use zoom from servo (just zoom manual from the lens).

If someone know which lens from fujinon can make the background more blur than the lens included in EX3, please tell me.

Thanks
PM

The Art of Presentation

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 13, 2010 at 4:34:16 pm

Hi pauMin,
If you have light enough, use neutral filters and open more the Iris.
The more the iris is open, the shorter the DoF.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Jan 15, 2010 at 2:26:07 pm

one thing that seems to me has not been said, is that also having the background as much as possible detached from the foreground subject, will of course increase the "field", that fore reduce the bkg focus

EX3, MBP17"2.93GHz, FCS2, Media100, BtcSP, DVcam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]