FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 footage download and back up on PC?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Goodall
EX1 footage download and back up on PC?
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:24:34 pm

Hi
I'm going to be shooting on the EX1, and as I'll be in a remote place abroad will only have access to my Lenovo PC laptop to download and back up my footage. Once I'm back home I will be editing on FCP.
Can anyone advise if it will be possible to view the footage on my laptop and safely download and back it up to external hard drives?
I don't use my laptop for editing so the only editing software I have on it is Windows Movie Maker.
I can't afford to buy a macbook before I go, so hope someone has a solution for me to use my v basic PC laptop to keep my footage safe while I'm abroad.
thanks
Lindsay

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 footage download and back up on PC?
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:39:51 pm

ClipBrowser will be able to view the clips even without editing software.
VLC player works too.

To me "remote place abroad" and "external hard drives" is a dangerous combination. A shock to the external hard drive could result in lost masters. Use a hard drive designed for rugged conditions (shocks and power loss), possibly double backup, possibly do one backup on optical disk. Blu-ray may actually be more scratch resistant than DVDs. Another alternative is consider backing up to XDCAM disc.

Return to posts index

Mark Bolding
Re: EX1 footage download and back up on PC?
on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:44:12 pm

Craig, what would you think if Lindsay were to get one of the sdhc card adapters and copy cards in camera to sdhc as a cheaper and more realistic alternative to xdcam discs in addition to the hard drives mentioned?

mb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]