FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacement Viewfinder Diopter

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Zwicker
Replacement Viewfinder Diopter
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:34:19 pm

Having just completed a season of shooting a hunting show for the Sportsman Channel, I find myself looking for a new viewfinder diopter.
Laying in layout blinds in dusty, windy wheat fields in bitter cold meant lots of fogging of my diopter when I needed it most. With gloved hands and at times no time to grab a microfiber lens cloth, I have managed to scratch the diopter to a nice fuzzy haze while attempting to quickly wipe away the fog.

Sony makes plastic diopters, which while not all that expensive to replace, will only last so long under these conditions.

Does anyone know who might be able to grind a comparable diopter to replace my scratched one?

Thanks guys.

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks LLC
Madison, WI USA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Replacement Viewfinder Diopter
on Jan 8, 2010 at 11:51:55 pm

Have you considered moving to a small outdoor monitor instead? Sounds like it would be a much better fit for you.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:30:47 am

I would consider wrapping a heating pad that can be plugged in around the lens to raise the temperature of the lens so it doesn't fog in the the cold. This is a trick we use in surgery to heat the tip of the scope so that it won't fog. Keeping it warm will keep it fogless when the environmental temperature is otherwise warmer than the lens. That way you won't have to rub the lens so much.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Jan 9, 2010 at 10:43:22 pm

The heat trick may work with chemical hand warmers or even a 12 volt heated sock like skiers wear wrapped around the viewfinder.

This is a hunting show where I am laying in a ground blind trying to be as hidden as possible so the waterfowl will not see me. I am also attempting to cover a flock or several birds moving along at 40 mph.
Not something one can do with a monitor (which I own) and would not want to attempt handheld work with.
I have to be mobile-jumping up to get interviews, cut-aways, etc.

Obviously I was not in an ideal situation and made the mistake of clearing the element with a dirty glove.

I realize even glass will scratch when mistreated. Just wishing on a star, I guess.

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Jan 10, 2010 at 3:55:55 pm

I didn't see which camera you have, but this was developed by a guy who did a lot of desert shooting.
It may adapt to an EX-3 if that's what you have. I've used it with my EX-1 with good results.

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/review_hood_pro_sock_lou...

I'm sure sony has a replacement lens for you, though.

Good luck,
Mike

Return to posts index

Bob Hayes
on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:14:46 pm

Any store that makes glasses can grind you lens. There are lots of super cheap ones around. Bring your diopter in and they will match it. I've done this for years.

Bob Hayes
DP
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]