FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R tripod advice

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Morrison
EX1R tripod advice
on Jan 7, 2010 at 9:07:27 pm

hey guys,

i just recently got an ex1r and have been using a crappy velbon tripod that i had from my hv30 days. since i film snowboarding i used it to get me by for the first couple shoots because it was small and light, this was key since well hike up to four hours in waist deep snow to get to a spot or jump and always have to ride with it to get down.

just now ive been able to find time to search for a good tripod since it is a necessity but i dont know too much about higher end tripods. the one ive found that i think would best suit my needs so far has been this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523094-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging...
im wondering if this one would do the trick for an ex1r

if you guys have any suggestions for a tripod that folds up small and is somewhat lightweight for the ex1r it would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott

Final Cut Studio 3
Sony PMW-EX1R

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: EX1R tripod advice
on Jan 7, 2010 at 9:29:54 pm

If you can swing more money, I think you'll have much better luck with the Sachtler FSB-6 head. That's what we got and I want to get a second one. This after reading a LOT of reviews everywhere I could find them. This is the smoothest tripod head you'll find anywhere close to this price range, for sure. Very important factor to consider if you're going to be doing any pan/tilt work to follow the shred.

We put the FSB-6 on a carbon Sachtler tripod (got the two as a pair on B&H) and I've used it in some VERY cold temps, but if you're trying to save money and are worried about the durability in the cold, I'm sure you can find some matching aluminum legs.

Cf

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:19:14 pm

I have the same setup a Clint and love mine. The carbon fiber Sachtler and FSB-6 head are a great combo. Once you use a good tripod you will never go back. I got mine for $1650 total but the aluminum legs are cheaper. Also, mine has just one clamp per leg so it is fast to setup. Not sure if the Manfrotto will be stable enough for the EX-1.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Chandler
on May 17, 2010 at 1:29:32 am

Does someone make a focus controller that can be used on a EX1r on a tripod?

Thanks.

Geoffrey Chandler Videography

Return to posts index

Scott Morrison
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:40:41 pm

hmm, id probably go with aluminium legs because durability and price are definitely a factor. is the FSB-6 head about the same size as the 503 head? that is as big as id want to go because size is about the biggest factor. As for price id be able to spend around a grand or more. for now though i dont need the perfect tripod for the ex1, anything will seem like a dream compared to what ive been using. Im thinking my best bet is just to go to a store and try some out, see what i like and actually be able to compare weight and size.

-Scott

Final Cut Studio 3
Sony PMW-EX1R

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jan 7, 2010 at 11:35:08 pm

The FSB-6 head is much larger but it stabalizes the head much better too. The tripod comes with its own carry bag as well.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Scott Morrison
on Jan 8, 2010 at 2:00:20 am

yeah, thats not gonna work for me then, i literally have to be hauling this up mountains with me. i think ill go with the manfrotto head just because of size and price, and like i said it will be more than enough for what i need. Now for the sticks, im wondering if i should go for something a tiny bit beefier for if i ever buy a glidetrack or something of that sort.
like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496825-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging...

although looking at it now the tripod i posted earlier and this one have about the same weight rating, might be a typo though.

-Scott

Final Cut Studio 3
Sony PMW-EX1R

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:36:01 am

My first choice is Sachtler then I'd look into Cartoni. I've used manfrotto and Vinten tripods and after using the others have been underwhelmed. Never used an O'connor though.

My two cents.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jan 8, 2010 at 2:35:43 pm

I have 2 Cartoni Focus F101 tripods and they are great. One is used with my Canon 5D / Sony EX3 cameras and the other is apart of my EX FX jib.

Avid DS/FCP Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:24:33 pm

Most Manfrotto heads are flat-out awful. Far too many of them put the tilt lock on the tilt axis, which is incredibly bad mechanical design.

I have a client who uses Canon XL's and they are nose-heavy. They have Manfrotto heads. It's a bad mix, trust me.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:48:15 pm

That 503 head will work fine and the stix are probably what you need for your application. Go to a local camera store and examine the leg locks. You want durable flip locks, nothing that you have to turn.

The most important thing is the size and weight. We shoot on a Sachtler head and stix at home but this is not what I have on a sling when I'm getting on a plane. My travel unit is a 503 on 3021 stix. It has to fit in the overhead. And, I can flip the locks with gloves on.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Scott Hathaway
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:46:09 pm

I've had very little luck with Manfrotto heads. They do not pan or tilt smoothly after a brief lock down. I can highly recommend the Sachtler 18 and Sachtler 20 heads as they are just the right size for the EX-1. It is a hefty head but with maintenance it will last for decades. When you start attaching rails and the Letus and matte box, the Sachtler 18 becomes a tad small, though still useable, but I then prefer a Sachtler 7+7 Studio II.

_________

I make movies, not a living.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 9, 2010 at 3:51:48 am

My mother told me not to expend more money on the tripod than on the camera.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 9, 2010 at 3:55:26 am

Words to live by Rafael.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Scott Morrison
on Jan 9, 2010 at 11:29:32 pm

very true.

well i think i have a good idea what the options are so now to go and test them out, see them and try them in real life. Might help. Thanks everyone for the information, it was all very useful!

-Scott

Final Cut Studio 3
Sony PMW-EX1R

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jan 10, 2010 at 12:23:32 am

The Miller Solos are excellent, especially the CF legs.

Very light, work well in the cold, and are very smooth.

I have 2 of them for EX3 and EX1R.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Jan 12, 2010 at 11:42:28 pm

I researched tripods for a while when I got my EX1. Wound up buying a used Miller from a friend which I love, but as far as new they have some fantastic heads and sticks at good prices. I've heard that a lot of manufacturers have excess inventory that they can't sell as new after NAB

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:30:30 am

Hmm, my Mother told me spend some cash to get a great tripod because there's nothing worse than trying to pull off a long lens shot with a camera tooled up with Mbox rails big batts etc, etc and having it shake like her mother shot it.

But as lou reed said "ya can't always trust your mother"

I know Satchlers of (in arse-busting rental house conditions) that have lasted several generations of camera and are still going strong (with a bit of TLC from time to time)!

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 14, 2010 at 1:28:25 pm

Paul,
If our mothers would be millionaires all of us could afford 9K tripod heads, but probably we wouldn't be shooting with 6K cameras.
I don't need a tripod that will last more than my self if I have to take my kids out of school to pay for it. Neither I want a 18'5 pounds fluid head for my EX-1. However i would accept it as a present.
Cheers,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]