FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing formats in FCP 7 & image stuttering / jaggies

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charla Barker
Mixing formats in FCP 7 & image stuttering / jaggies
on Jan 7, 2010 at 7:10:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm editing a project in FCP 7.0 that has several different kinds of footage. Some of the footage was shot with a Sony EX3 - shot at 1080p30 35 Mb/s VBR 1920x1080. There is also footage that is DVCPRO 50 (720x480). And also some that is Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920 x 1080. And I've noticed that in my sequence the DVCPRO 50 footage has a "stuttering" effect - meaning that the footage has jaggies / pixelation. But if I put that same footage on a sequence that has settings matching the footage there’s no problem and it looks great. So I’m wondering what I can do to get rid of the jaggies / pixilation that’s occurring. I’m guessing that it has to do with the sequence settings so I put info on that below:

FCP sequence settings:
Frame Size: 1920 x 1080
Aspect Ratio: HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
Editing Timebase: 29.97

Quicktime Video Settings:
Compressor: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Quality: 100%

Under the Render Control tab the codec is set to AppleProRes 422

System Info:
Desktop
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 8 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
FCP: 7.0
Quicktime 7.6.4

Sincerely,
Charla Barker

Charla Barker

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Mixing formats in FCP 7 & image stuttering / jaggies
on Jan 7, 2010 at 7:50:17 pm

Make sure that FCP is rendering the whole sequence then, since some clips don't match your sequence codec. Just hitting Apple-R doesn't do that unless you change your application settings. Under Sequence>Render All I believe you can force that. Otherwise I think it's trying to do it on the fly.

Cf

Return to posts index

Charla Barker
on Jan 7, 2010 at 8:02:11 pm

Definitely - I've been rendering the whole sequence by clicking "Render All" and I have all the options on the right of that menu clicked on (Needs Render, Rendered Proxy, Proxy Preview, Full, Unlimited) so it should be getting everything. But I still have the jaggies/pixelation.

One other thing I just thought of is that the DVCPRO 50 footage is anamorphic. And the Sony EX3 footage isn't. I wonder if that could cause the issue?

Charla

Charla Barker

Return to posts index

Charla Barker
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:15:15 pm

I may have found a solution. I changed the Field Dominance in the Sequence settings so it matches the DVCPRO 50 footage - field dominance for that footage is read as "lower field" first in FCP. And by doing that it does greatly reduce the jaggies / pixelation. It doesn't eliminate them completely but it does help a lot.

Charla Barker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]