FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best USB card reader for EX1R?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
Best USB card reader for EX1R?
on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:15:19 pm

Hi

Wondered what USB reader is a good one to read my Transcend 32GB cards, red stripe version I purchased late Nov '09. Also, do I need to use XDcam Clip Browser with these Transcend cards as I would with the SONY SxS cards? Same workflow as well?

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best USB card reader for EX1R?
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:14:54 pm

[Kent Beeson] "Wondered what USB reader is a good one to read my Transcend 32GB cards"

Do you mean reader to copy the files or adaptor to use in the camera? MXM and Hoodman are the same. MXR apparently are using a different manufacturer. I'm hearing MXM is best these days.

If you just mean a reader to attach to computer, anything that can read an SDHC card would work.
If you mean reading one of the above adaptors directly, they're USB whereas SxS is PCIe.

[Kent Beeson] "do I need to use XDcam Clip Browser with these Transcend cards as I would with the SONY SxS cards? "
Files are the same. Why would you think they are different just because the media is different?

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:18:37 pm

Thanks for the help - I did mean reader to attach to computer...never did this tapeless workflow before.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:34:42 pm

It's usually the SXS cards that throw people for a loop. That requires either Sony's SXS card reader, which reads PCIe Express cards, or laptop with Express card slot, which generally read both PCIe and USB Express cards.

Nearly all other Express card readers (with some exceptions) read USB Express cards only but that's exactly what the MXR, MXM, Hoodman cards are. Of course there's gazillions of SDHC card readers on the market and in some cases you get a cheap one thrown in when you purchase SDHC cards.

BTW while many of us Mac users certainly mourn the loss of the Express card slot in the 15" MacBookPros (now only in 17" model), the addition of the SDHC card reader in the 13" MacBookPro makes that a nice compact laptop to carry for SDHC transfers. Of course I prefer to have enough cards to avoid transferring during a shoot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]