FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conversion to Quicktime Movie Problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Phillips
Conversion to Quicktime Movie Problem
on Jan 1, 2010 at 11:40:02 pm

I just had someone film me using a Sony EX-3 HDcam. She used a SXS Media Card and then used XDCAM Transfer to make the RAW BPAV Media into Quicktime movies.
She used a MACBOOK PRO to transfer those Quicktime movies to my portable hard drive.
When I try to open the Quicktime movies from my MacBook I just get a black screen. I just updated my Quicktime Player to 7.6.4 which is the same version she is using.
The files on my portable hard drive look like this: MRSM0193_01_1.mov
We plugged the portable hard drive back into her computer to make sure that the files play and they do. They just won't play on my computer. Can anyone offer suggestions about how to get them to play?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Conversion to Quicktime Movie Problem
on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:08:31 am

Do you have Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 or higher on your MacBook?

You need Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and up in order to have the XDCAM EX MOV codec on your system.
The alternative is that you can buy Calibrated Software MOV codec for Macs that don't have Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

Scott Phillips
on Jan 2, 2010 at 5:40:37 am

Thanks for your response.
No I don't have Final Cut Pro, I was hoping to do some limited editing in imovie.
After talking with a friend who knows computers but not this issue I looked for a codec problem and downloaded this:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/calibratedqxddecode.html

Now I can sort of watch the videos but they have 6 gray stripes, 2 large horizontal, 2 small horizontal, and 2 thin vertical. Is this some kind of blocking mechanism?

They didn't have the grey stripes when I watched them on her machine. Unfortunately she is going back to L.A. so I don't think I'm going to have the opportunity to work this out on her machine. If I take my portable hard drive to someone else with Final Cut Pro will they be able to re-export the Quicktime movies in a format I can read? How?

I really just wanted some Quicktime movies or some other standard format.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks
Scott P

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 2, 2010 at 12:43:43 pm

But Craig, aren't they just standard QT movie files now they have been converted by the Transfer software which should play in QT as stand alone movies?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 2, 2010 at 1:10:53 pm

[Michael Slowe] "aren't they just standard QT movie files"
???? No such thing ever existed.
.mov can contain an array of codecs. Just look a your Quicktime folder on your system. .mov is a wrapper almost like .avi is.

If you don't have the codec it ain't gonna play.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 2, 2010 at 1:18:08 pm

Right.
You don't need the codec to run the Transfer tool and re-wrap the MP4 as .mov.
However you won't be able to see the picture without the codec.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 2, 2010 at 1:35:11 pm

VLC at least can play the MP4. It cannot play the file rewrapped as MOV though.
One more reason why people should deliver BPAV camera masters.
Once you hand over an MOV there's hurdles all over the place for anyone who doesn't have FCP 6.0.2 and up on their system.

If you can, get the original BPAV and you can at least view them in VLC. If the shooter tossed the BPAV, well they've just tossed your camera masters.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:49:43 pm

The "shooter" could also convert the .mov (if the BPAV is gone) to another codec you have like animation or whatever Prores codec you have.

How are you editing the footage?

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 2, 2010 at 3:24:48 pm

We haven't heard back from Scott but if they don't have FCP on their system are they likely to have ProRes? Although I believe that codec is available as a download. Animation would work but those are large files.

AFAIK the OP was just trying to play the files in QuickTime.

It's sort of like walking around the work to get to the other side of the block. Copy the BPAV and view in VLC. No reason to wrap to mov, no need to encode to another codec, no need to buy a codec plugin, no need to install FCP (on what may be a skimpy MacBook hard drive). Why make something simple, difficult.

Clean out the hard drive, copy the BPAV, install VCL and be done with it, if it's just for viewing.

Alternately, if he wants to edit the files in FCP then install FCS 2 or FCS 3 (2009) and be done with it that way.

Return to posts index

Scott Phillips
on Jan 2, 2010 at 6:09:26 pm

Thanks for all the ideas.
As you can see I did respond above but it was held for moderation. So just to repeat.
I downloaded the codec and can now view the Quicktime files but they all have grey stripes through them as if they were all sabotaged.
Update:
I have the BPAV files and I have VLC! That works, I can now view all the footage. Unfortunately I was hoping to edit them in iMovie '09 version 8.0.5. iMovie doesn't recognize the MP4's in the BPAV file. Why not? Can I convert them? (From reading the Apple website it looks like Mpeg4's should work in iMovie...but they don't. I'm guessing that like QT movies Mpeg4's are not all created equal.)

The titles of the files look like this MRSM0203_01.MP4

--thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jan 2, 2010 at 6:33:10 pm

Hi Scott,

The gray watermarks you described is the DEMO watermark for Calibrated{Q} XD Decode.

Per MP4 files - XDCAM EX MP4 files are not mpeg4 files. MP4 is a file wrapper (like MXF or MOV) and is not a compression scheme (which is what MPEG4 is) - MP4 files can store MPEG4 data BUT XDCAM EX MP4 files are MPEG2 encoded. It's a little confusing but hopefully my explanation made sense.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Scott Phillips
on Jan 2, 2010 at 9:15:07 pm

Thanks,
I didn't realize I was working with a DEMO. So now I have to uninstall the DEMO? And my options are:
a) $100 on the non-DEMO version of Calibrated{Q} XD Decode?
b) Buy FCP $1000 and install it on my MacBook which probably isn't big enough anyway?

Seems like there ought to be a way to edit in iMovie? I know some people with FCP if that helps, isn't it possible to take the MP4's and making them usable in iMovie?

--thanks for you help,
Scott

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 2, 2010 at 9:25:45 pm

The free Sony ClipBrowser can convert the BPAV (MP4) to .DV which iMovie can handle but it doesn't keep the time code.

CalibratedSoftware should allow you to use in iMovie. Test that before you buy (that's what demos are for of course).

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jan 2, 2010 at 9:29:43 pm

Hi Scott,

The Full version of Calibrated{Q} XD Decode is only $79.95 - you might be looking at the bundle of Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import PLUS Calibrated{Q} XD Decode for $99.95 - the bundle 'should' enable you to import the XDCAM EX MP4 files into iMovie (which I think then iMovie automatically converts into Apple Intermediate MOV files - not too sure since I havent really worked with iMovie) - if you purchase Calibrated{Q} XD Decode by itself then you would have to transcode the MP4 files into MOV files using XDCAM Transfer before importing them into iMovie.

or I believe VLC has some conversion options - so maybe you could convert the MP4 files from them into something iMovie likes

or someone you know with FCP could convert the MP4 files into a .MOV file that iMovie understands.

or Sony XDCAM EX Clip Browser has some conversion options (but I think the 'free' version is rather limited into what it can convert to)

Hope that helps - maybe some other people have other suggestions too!

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:36:10 pm

In my mind the big question is:

What are you using the footage for?

That answer will be useful in advising how to proceed.

Happy New Year all.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Jan 3, 2010 at 7:43:56 pm

I'm pretty sure that iMovie does not support the XDCAM EX codec. It must be converted to something else in order to edit the footage in iMovie. (DV, AVCHD, HDV).

Bob

CAMERAS
Sony EX3 & Sony DXC637/PVV3 Betacam-SP

PORTABLE EDITING
*MacBook Pro - 2.33Ghz - 2Gb RAM
*Matrox MXO / 23" Cinema Display

DESKTOP
*DualG5 2Ghz w/2.5Gb RAM
*UL4D SCSI Card
*HMV800 DualMax RAID0
*AJA IO
*Sony 2800

SOFTWARE
*OSX10.4.11, QT 7.5, FCP 6.0.4, Livetype 2.1.3, Soundtrack Pro 2.0.2, DVDSP4.2.1, Adobe CS3 Prod Suite

Return to posts index

Scott Phillips
on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:18:27 pm

Thanks everybody,
I was able to import the FCP .mov files with the 6 gray stripes (created by the DEMO codec file) into iMovie. So I'm pretty sure that will work if I buy the codecs.
However the owner of the Camera said she'd send me the files in .DV format on a DVD. That should solve it, good thing I'm not in a hurry.
Thanks for the other suggestions too, I'm probably going to just use this stuff for Youtube but it would be worth trying to keep the quality of the footage from being degraded--someday soon Youtube will allow higher quality media.

That DEMO codecs was hard to get off my computer by the way. I'm not sure if I got it all the way off, something about a file in /User/.../ that needed to be deleted. The other files were delete resistant too...kept telling me the application was in use.
--thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:30:45 pm

Hi Scott,

To delete the DEMO's - basically all you need to do is:

1. Delete the Calibrated folder from the Applications directory

2. Delete the CalibratedXDCodec.component from the /Library/QuickTime folder (that's the Library folder on the Main Harddrive not the Library folder in the User directory)

3. Restart

and you should be good - if you get an error saying something is in use - usually that means that an application is still open in System Memory that is using the codec. You can always restart your computer first before trying the above steps to insure that an applciation is not open that would be using the codec.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 4, 2010 at 5:53:06 am

ffmpgx can read the MP4's and export to other formats, however these export options are no much editable formats. What I'm not sure is if ffmpgx is using the codec provided by FC or if is using his own resources.
rafael

Return to posts index

Matt Sturns
on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:10:26 pm

You can download the Free XDCAM codecs for QT here:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/mcfa0086/discretecosine/164630.html

You will need Perian for QT free download here:

http://www.perian.org

Worked fine for me. Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Scott Phillips
on Jan 4, 2010 at 7:52:12 pm

That's interesting but it only works for viewing like VLC. The ability to edit is what I need now. I'm still puzzled as to why apple would make it's software incompatible with itself? It's kind of like GM making tires that don't fit it's cars.

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:32:07 pm

If you have windows on your computer download the Vegas9 Pro editing demo.. Everything works for 30 days. You can import the files directly into vegas and edit them or convert them to a mac format..

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:09:35 pm

There's a whole slew of codecs that are installed with Final Cut Studio that are not part of Quicktime install. My guess is that they may involve licensing fees such that paying for FCS covers the cost. Keep in mind that XDCAM is a Sony, not Apple, codec.

I believe you'd find the same issue with DVCPro100 (aka DVCProHD). It's part of FCS install and not part of Quicktime otherwise.

Also note that XDCAM Transfer, which is a Sony tool or Sony Log & Transfer plugin for Final Cut Pro are needed to wrap the the file to MOV.

JVC apparently had to license the codec from Sony so that JVC can create XDCAM files (both MP4 and MOV).

My guess it's Sony, not Apple, holding the cards on this one.
Sony's distribution format is the BPAV (which is why that's your camera master) and that is the root to use in NLEs that use either MP4 directly, MXF, MOV.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:51:17 am

[Scott Phillips] "That's interesting but it only works for viewing like VLC. The ability to edit is what I need now"
Had you already tried?
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]