FORUMS: list search recent posts

on location - grainy pix - help!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip James
on location - grainy pix - help!
on Jan 1, 2010 at 11:15:07 pm

Happy New Year!

On location with the EX1 - a nice camera. A couple of concerns though if anyone can help:

1) The SxS media doesn't show up at all using the slot on my MacBook Pro but does using the reader. That's no big deal but one other issue is.

2) The shots look fine on the EX1 LCD screen but when viewed on the XD Cam EX Clip Browser or in my Avid Media Composer software on my laptop they look terribly grainy - not good at all. I have attached a grab to give you an idea. The attached shot was not shot in particularly low light.

Any ideas what might be going on? I need to get to the bottom of this asap since I'll have to start deleting media off the cards soon (to free space) and I want to know the copies I have are ok first.

Any help appreciated.

Best

Phil

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: on location - grainy pix - help!
on Jan 2, 2010 at 1:11:51 am

What is your gain setting? Keep it as low as possible, that is a very grainy shot you posted. Also, have you changed any camera profiles? If so what are they?

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Brian Moore
on Jan 2, 2010 at 3:33:17 am

You have to download software in order for the express card slot to read SXS. You can find it for free. I can't remember what the software is called but if you google it you'll find it.

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:05:19 am

Thanks guys.

I noticed that the gain setting on the camera was set to 'high'. I have now set that to low. I'll do some tests.

As far as the software to allow my laptop to mount the SxS cards I have downloaded and installed that and the card appears up on the menu bar but doesn't mount on the desktop and can't be accessed in Clip Browser.

The grain issue is my biggest problem though - I'll work on that.

Best

Phil

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:16:25 am

After doing some tests the grain issue is due to the high gain setting - can't believe I overlooked that! I guess there isn't much I can do with the shots already done?

Phil

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Jan 3, 2010 at 7:46:48 pm

You could try adding some blur, then sharpening - might help a little.

Bob

CAMERAS
Sony EX3 & Sony DXC637/PVV3 Betacam-SP

PORTABLE EDITING
*MacBook Pro - 2.33Ghz - 2Gb RAM
*Matrox MXO / 23" Cinema Display

DESKTOP
*DualG5 2Ghz w/2.5Gb RAM
*UL4D SCSI Card
*HMV800 DualMax RAID0
*AJA IO
*Sony 2800

SOFTWARE
*OSX10.4.11, QT 7.5, FCP 6.0.4, Livetype 2.1.3, Soundtrack Pro 2.0.2, DVDSP4.2.1, Adobe CS3 Prod Suite

Return to posts index

Gerry Curtis
on Jan 5, 2010 at 1:47:05 pm

Try video purifier, works great for noise reduction and I think it's on sale: http://www.innobits.com/purifier.html
You can test your footage with their trial version first.
Good luck!
Gerry

http://www.digitalkilnstudios.com
Color Reel

Return to posts index

Navarro Parker
on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:04:40 pm

Let me know if you find a solution for this. My EX1 has given me nothing but noise (and lots of headaches). Check out what I'm getting:

Super Noisy Sony EX1 footage

Noisy Sony EX1 footage (ProRes 422 HQ)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]