FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 footage in FCP_ 4th and 5th frames are identical

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Krall
EX1 footage in FCP_ 4th and 5th frames are identical
on Dec 30, 2009 at 5:28:45 pm

I searched thru everything I could think of here but, could be that I don't know exactly what key words to use in the search so, if anybody can steer me to a string on this subject, I would be most appreciative.

I shoot mostly 24p on my EX1 and edit in FCP. What I'm seeing is that, on the timeline, using the forward arrow to advance frame by frame, every 4th and 5th frames seem to be identical. When viewing the original file using the Quicktime player, this is not the case and all the frames are different. And I don't see this when using the Sony clip viewer, either. Only on the FCP timeline.

Do I have something set incorrectly in my Audio/Video settings?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 footage in FCP_ 4th and 5th frames are identical
on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:29:20 pm

Make absolutely sure you're timeline is 23.98 and not 29.97. If you're viewing on an external monitor it's possible FCP is adding it's real time pull down which is something like 2:2:2:4 which would mean the last two frames are doubled.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:32:22 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p#Displaying_24p_material

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Dec 30, 2009 at 8:33:33 pm

Thank you, Craig. I read the Wikipedia thing on 24p... very informative.

When you say "Make absolutely sure you're timeline is 23.98 and not 29.97.", is this the 'Sequence Preset' in the Audio/Video settings. And can it be done after footage has been placed on the timeline or does it have to be set up prior?

I have an AJA Kona LHi card for output to an external monitor via HDMI and I have set the Sequence Preset to AJA Kona LHi: 1080psf 23.98 Apple Pro Res 422 but, this didn't change the 4th and 5th frames from being identical. Also, I am seeing this problem on the computer screen as well as the external monitor.

I have to say, I'm pretty green at this and after reading the Wikipedia article, I still don't know if the 4th and 5th frame thing is normal or not. Guessing it's not based an your statement about 23.98.

Thanks for this and any additional help you care to throw my way.
RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]