FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R - How do I increase Sharpness

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Manno
EX1R - How do I increase Sharpness
on Dec 17, 2009 at 4:21:32 am

I just bought an EX1r.

How do I make the picture a little sharper?

Any drawbacks to doing this?

-Frankie

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1R - How do I increase Sharpness
on Dec 17, 2009 at 8:29:20 am

[Frank Manno] "How do I make the picture a little sharper?"

Here's a link to one of Sony's shooting tips that deals with picture profile settings:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/tips.htm

You're looking for Shooting Tip #2, specifically the edge detail settings and how to adjust to increase/decrease sharpness.

[Frank Manno] "Any drawbacks to doing this? "

Yes, The more edge detail you dial in the more chance there is to have line twitter present in your image. Not good. Different television displays will handle sharpness better or worse than other displays. It's also important to adjust edge detail differently depending on your recording format (interlace or progressive). Testing is important before you shoot a whole project and find out later you didn't choose the right picture profile settings.

- Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 17, 2009 at 9:13:46 am

Yeah I'd be careful artificially sharpening too much in camera. If you go too far it's irreversible and something you can do in post with more accuracy and less risk. Also, sharpness depends on a lot of factors- your optics, focus accuracy, monitor you're using to evaluate, etc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Dec 17, 2009 at 1:34:36 pm

It's a fairly well documented fact that when you turn "sharpening" on in the EX1, the default setting of "zero" is actuall introducing some level of sharpening. The recommended choice for no sharpening is to keep it off in the menu, or set the level to around -40.
As everyone has already said, using in-camera sharpening produces line twitter and increases the bandwidth needed for in camera compression, reducing overall image quality. IOW, I stay away from in cam sharpening.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 17, 2009 at 1:59:22 pm

Of double check why you're perceiving softening in the first place.

If you're new to HD you'll find that focus is much more critical. Use the LCD with Expanded Focus and Peaking to help. If you just do it by eye it's possible to be slightly off and the image will be soft.

Also if you have any of the auto focus or push focus assist features on, the focus can drift.

Also make sure there's no back focus issue. Zoom in, focus, zoom out, is the image still in focus? Back focus is in the maintenance menu unless they've changed it. Don't do that on your own unless you have a good grasp of how that all works though. Some cameras have had back focus issues so they needed to recalibrate.

With all that, the best check is on a good 1080p monitor to ensure you're seeing pixel to pixel accuracy (not scaling issues in the monitoring).

I'm mentioning all this because the image in the EX is very sharp to begin with, it's rare someone will ask about sharpening. Note Bill's comments. Check the above avenues first because sharpening does have its ill effects (again as Bill and Noah and other note). The tutorial Don points to will give you a good overview and Bill has done a lot of work on Picture Profiles including reducing the over sharpened look . . . good example of how most people are looking to head in the other direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]