FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Questions

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Howard
EX3 Questions
on Dec 14, 2009 at 1:45:08 am

Couple of questions to start off my new relationship with the Sony EX3.

1. What shutter speeds work best for capturing high action sports / water sports? in 1080/24fps? in 720/60fps?

2. I've got the 16x9 HD75XA Wide Angle mounted on the stock lens...do you need to turn on the "Wide Conversion" ? ...and what situation would you use that in?

3. Can you just connect the camera via USB, open up in Finder and then click and drag the BPAV folder with all the clips in it on to an external? Any loss of quality this way and/or recommendation other than EX File Transfer thru FCP?

THanks for any tips!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX3 Questions
on Dec 14, 2009 at 2:52:00 am

[James Howard] "1. What shutter speeds work best for capturing high action sports / water sports? in 1080/24fps? in 720/60fps?"

Personally I shoot sports at 720p60. Shutter speed might be 1/120 but I can see some using 1/60
With 1080p24, I think a high shutter speed would look strange. Having motion blur might help so you might even want 1/24 over 1/48. I wouldn't shoot sports at that frame rate though but you're getting into aesthetic decision here. Lower shutter speed is more motion blur and higher can move towards an almost staccato look.

[James Howard] "3. Can you just connect the camera via USB, open up in Finder and then click and drag the BPAV folder with all the clips in it on to an external?"

One can drive without a set belt and walk a tight rope without a net too. Not advised though. Use ClipBrowser with CRC checking. If you drag and drop and unknowingly have a corrupted copy, one you erase those SxS cards, you're hosed big time.

[James Howard] "Any loss of quality this way and/or recommendation other than EX File Transfer thru FCP? "

It's a re-wrap to mov. No loss. Your options are XDCAM Transfer or FCP Log & Transfer. Both work. The preference is yours. I prefer XDCAM Transfer.

Return to posts index

Scott Morrison
Re: EX3 Questions
on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:19:03 am

When shooting sports in slow motion, rule of thumb is to always have you shutter speed double your frame rate. So for 720p 60fps would want you shutter speed to be around 120-125. Ive only had my EX1R for a couple days now but have already gathered a few hours of snowboard footage for my film, using that rule has created the smoothest/cleanest footage for me.

-Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]