FORUMS: list search recent posts

best way to Output Sony EX1R 100 feet to a HDTV

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Gorges
best way to Output Sony EX1R 100 feet to a HDTV
on Dec 8, 2009 at 6:46:02 pm

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help you can be.

I work at a church, and we're going to be renting a Sony EX1R for our Christmas service for an "overflow" room. There is going to be a TV set up in this room. The TV has HDMI, RCA, S-video, and coaxial inputs.

My question is what would be the best and most reasonably priced (this is a one time need)setup to run only video straight from the EX1R to a TV about 100 feet away?(sound will be run from an output on our snake).

Please ask if there is any other info I can provide to help in the solution process. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brent Critchfield
Re: best way to Output Sony EX1R 100 feet to a HDTV
on Dec 8, 2009 at 7:20:05 pm

If you have an A/V rental house in the area, you should be able to rent some RGBHV (5-wire) cable that you can use to run analog component to the RCA component inputs on the TV. I routinely run HD component this way in pro AV applications and get great results. The ends on the cable will be BNC, so make sure they give you the proper adapters to get from RCA male at the camera to RCA female on the HDTV.

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Dec 10, 2009 at 5:51:55 am

HDMI will not work over 35 feet without a inline amplifier. Analog video can be sketchy towards the 100 foot mark. I would suggest a balun. Intelix has a HD component video balun for $75 per side. You could then sent the HD component video signal over cat 5. I have used this product for the exact same purpose (video overflow with an EX1) and it worked flawlessly. They also have an HDMI balun but it costs $100 more and requires 2 cat 5 cables. Here is a link to the balun http://www.markertek.com/CATV-Headend-Interface/CAT-5-Transmission-Systems/....

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Brent Critchfield
on Dec 10, 2009 at 6:25:16 am

Analog video over VGA is sketchy anytime you go over 50', but over RGBHV (especially with component) it's rock solid up to 300'.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 10, 2009 at 6:44:33 am

[Nick Righton] "HDMI will not work over 35 feet without a inline amplifier."
My 50' run is doing fine and I'm adding another soon. There certainly are enough companies making runs that long and the people buying aren't simply folks hooking up their Blu-ray players to their HDTVs either. Seems that's a far cry from "not work."

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Dec 11, 2009 at 12:25:41 am

I have not had any success with runs that long. However 50 feet seems to be the limit with HDMI 1.3 spec cable according to wikipedia article on HDMI. That was news to me. My last install would not tolerate a run that long (probably due to the quality of the cable).

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 11, 2009 at 12:50:54 am

I think last year I couldn't find any cable runs that long for sale. This year there's a number of them and 50' is working. Could be the HDMI cable manufacturing techniques have progressed enough so that they've minimized loss and potential types of interference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]