FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low temps?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
Low temps?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:54:21 pm

Hi guys

Real world camera and tripod experience re: low temps outside - is it safe to shoot with the EX1R around 30-32ºF for about an hour? How about Satchler FSB-6T fluid head tripod? Any problems with that freezing up after a few minutes?

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Low temps?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:06:46 pm

I don't see why not- that's not that cold...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:35:23 pm

Just wondered since the manual says 32º-104º - never shot in that low temp and wondered before I go out and do so if 30º ish was pushing it for EX1R.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:37:50 pm

I've shot with the EX1 and FSB6 in NYC during the winter where the tempartures can get lower at times without issue. I've done this after heavy snow and didn't have condensation issues either. If you do get into even a light snow flurry situation protect the LCD first and foremost.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:42:09 pm

Thanks - sounds like a little common sense and it'll be fine.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:58:57 am

Keep that battery warm or your run time will tank. Don't know if Li-ION batteries have freezing issues at colder conditions than you expect.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:32:32 am

I've got a KATA rain bag, very nice, I suppose I could use that in snow, but anyone know about Sacthler fluid heads, if they freeze up below 32º or what precautions one should take for slightly below freezing shooting.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:55:56 am

Sachtler head will be fine... fluid may become thicker as temp drops...just like motor oil.
Be careful with the camera when you go back inside because that is when you may have condensation. Any barrier to air contact until the camera warms up (even partially) is a good idea... depends on what humidity levels you encounter indoors.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:54:16 am

Thanks for all the helpful replies, thoughts.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Nigel Walker
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:55:06 pm

I had some problems on my EX1 with focusing after I left it in a car overnight in a snow storm. Not sure what the temp got down to but wasn't too cold. problem went away after I took it inside and warmed it up for an hour or so. Not in aircon

Nigel Walker
Wild Films
Australia

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:13:56 pm

I was out last night with an EX1 and FSB-6 for just under an hour in -5 or so (windchill between -15 and -20). It worked fine. I was doing mostly stationary shots, but the tripod's fluid head was REALLY stiff when I moved it. Of course I forgot to take it off its strongest drag setting before I went out. Camera ran fine, I didn't even lose one dot of battery indicator, and I managed not to snap the tripod's carbon legs in the cold as I moved it around. My headphone cord got so stiff I just propped it up against the camera.

Gotta love North Dakota.

Cf

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:02:13 pm

This seems like the perfect answer to my original question - thanks much

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Scott Morrison
on Dec 14, 2009 at 5:38:33 am

the camera performs flawlessly in low temps, was filming in -25 yesterday and it didnt miss a beat. you just have to use the EVF in really low temperatures.

-Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]