FORUMS: list search recent posts

field dominance

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Green
field dominance
on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:57:38 pm

Hi there

I have just captured two lots of rushes using XDCAM transfer (422 1080i 50) and when I look in the browser in FCP, some have 'upper' field dominance and some have 'none'. Why is this and does this have an effect when this is played out to tape?

Also, my setup is FCP7 with a Kona3 and my external monitor is a Sony LMD2451w HD LCD monitor. Last week I was pulling my hair out as there was a latency in the monitor which is apparently common in LCD screens (thanks for the memo Sony!!) and so they have a menu function to allow for this lag. however, when I have this turned on, I have a field problem and the image wobbles between frames. This wobble is a field dominance issue, but it does not wobble so much if I turn my sequences field dominances (on XDCAM 422 1080i 50) from upper to none. Will this create a problem down the line if i keep the dominance on 'none'?

Thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: field dominance
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:04:09 pm

Simon,

I'll bet that your camera is a PDW700 with 1.2x version software. This (or earlier) software did not conform to SMPTE RP188 where the TC and Frame would start together. Thus the random nature of field dominance. The new 1.5 software fixes this and other things, but of course that won't help you. Unfortunately in FCP you can assign the import to begin at the beginning of the frame; this can however be done on the Avid platform as a holdover from the early telecine days. Let me know if I'm right about your camera's software. If I am, upgrade with the free download from Sony support (you'll also need to upgrade decks and readers() and test new material.

JS

Return to posts index

Simon Green
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:07:30 pm

Hi John

Yes it was a PDW700 but I am not sure of the software. I will do some upgrades just in case.

Doe the filed dominance matter - it looks fine on my monitor.

Thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:18:01 pm

Simon,

You will never notice on the monitor.

It will only matter if you choose to make filmout or otherwise on-line your project. Here the accumulation of 1/2 frame errors might effect the sound sync and also create difficulty in accurately matching the intended frame.

Again this is corrected in version 1.5 software.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]