FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting VHS to XDCAM?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Converting VHS to XDCAM?
on Dec 5, 2009 at 5:27:11 pm

Hi,

I have been asked by a client to use some footage currently contained on a VHS tape. It was converted to VHS tape from Cinereel. I am working with a EX1 and editing in FCP, XDCAM native, 720p.

What is the best way to convert the tape based footage so I can use it in the same timeline?

Many thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Converting VHS to XDCAM?
on Dec 5, 2009 at 6:46:48 pm

I'd take it to a post house with a VHS deck that has component. Capture that via Kona or AJA card to SDI uncompressed 480i. Then upconvert in FCP to 720p. Or if the post house has a nice hardware upconvertor- use that and have them give it to you as ProRes 720p. Your EX1 is of zero use here because the EX1 doesn't work in SD at all.

If you happen to have a VHS deck and a DV deck you could feed at least SD into FCP that way via Firewire. Or if you have a Kona or AJA card you could capture yourself from a VHS deck. Just don't expect a miracle however you do it. VHS to 720p HD is sort of like converting Hyundai to Mercedes- doesn't quite work.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 6, 2009 at 12:56:09 am

[Noah Kadner] "I'd take it to a post house with a VHS deck that has component. Capture that via Kona or AJA card to SDI uncompressed 480i"

That would work. You could then take that file and use Episode Pro which can encode to XDCAM EX .MOV.
It's going to look real ugly though if you're mixing it with EX video.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 6, 2009 at 2:43:34 am

You are starting with a very week image, but if you treat it well it can works.
Forget about XDCAM and capture and work with a solid codec.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Dec 6, 2009 at 9:45:24 am

Thanks for getting back to me.

In this case, the end result will be a SD DVD. I'm used to editing natively in FCP with XDCAM footage and with my render set to Prores422.

I guess changing my settings in FCP and using a different workflow would be the best solution in this case?

This does worry me slightly as I spend a long time on forums trying to find the best settings to get a decent SD DVD from EX1 footage!

Your suggestions would be very welcome.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 6, 2009 at 11:55:31 am

Hi Olly,
If you are ending in a DVD, there is not point in blowing your VHS footage to 720 and the going again to SD.
Keep it in SD..
Try to get your VHS in your computer with good quality and drop all the footage (XDCAM included) in an SD sequence. Render to Prores.
Start by getting a good VHS player.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:56:06 pm

Hi,

Thank you.

I was going to use the Eye TV 250 to get the footage from the VHS tape to my Mac - although i'm not sure what format this will end up as. It doesn't state on website.
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/250plus/product1.en.html

Excuse my nativity here, but what sequence settings would you use for FCP; i.e. the settings are currently;

Aspect Ratio; HDTV 720p (16:19)
Compressor; XDCAM EX 720p25 (35 Mb/s VBR)
Render Control - Codec; ProRes422 (which I understand stays the same)

What would you change these settings to? Or would you use Easy Setup instead?

- I ask because I have some terrible results before when downconverting to SD with XDCAM footage. The best way I found was to edit natively with the render control set to ProRes422 and then drop the file into compressor, DVD Fasted Encode 90 minutes.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:06:44 pm

[Olly Lawer] " The best way I found was to edit natively with the render control set to ProRes422 and then drop the file into compressor, DVD Fasted Encode 90 minutes.
"

Hi Olly,
But, although the render is set to Prores, the movie you get on export is just EX-1.
Do as you have been doing, but change the sequence codec to Prores before exporting and export Prores.

[Olly Lawer] "I was going to use the Eye TV 250 to get the footage from the VHS tape to my Mac - although i'm not sure what format this will end up as. It doesn't state on website. "
the formats that El gato encodes to MPEG-1/2.
Is not the way to go if you go to re-edit the footage.
You must try to capture with as much quality as you can.

[Olly Lawer] "Excuse my nativity here, but what sequence settings would you use for FCP; i.e. the settings are currently;

Aspect Ratio; HDTV 720p (16:19)
Compressor; XDCAM EX 720p25 (35 Mb/s VBR)
Render Control - Codec; ProRes422 (which I understand stays the same)

What would you change these settings to? Or would you use Easy Setup instead?"

Still I don't see the point in editing in 720 when you will end in SD.
You will upsize that footage to downsize it again.
This you can do it with high quality footage, no with VHS captured with a cheap video-card.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]