FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fujinon 14x Lens Repair

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jess Gomez
Fujinon 14x Lens Repair
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:50:43 am

My lens is damaged and needs repair. Where can I go and have it repaired. There's an 8x Fujinon lens
B&H is selling. Is this a better lens than the stock 14x Fujinon Lens. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
Re: Fujinon 14x Lens Repair
on Dec 2, 2009 at 11:53:57 am

Well, one would logically think the first place to go would be Fujinon USA's Web site for a contact number and ask them.

In one minute I found what you need. Remember, Google is your friend--use it!

Return to posts index

Matt Sturns
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:56:52 pm

this site is soooo negative. This gentleman is asking a serious question, if you don't have the answer than you don't have to post a negative response. What do YOU think Fujinon is going to say, "Oh that lens sucks" I am sure a Fujinon rep is going to tell you the lens is absolutely amazing, exactly what they are paid to do. I really wish people could chill out on this site and learn to communicate with real life experiences instead of the cliche 'google it'. If you don't have something nice or productive to say....

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:08:07 pm

From my experience, manufacturer's repair facilities (both Canon and Fujinon) are quite expensive and there are many reputable third party lens repair facilities (often owned and staffed by ex-factory service technicians). Where to send you repair is often a calculation therefore that is based on cost, need for speedy return and availability of replacement parts. If there is a third party repair facility in your locale, the availability of hand carrying in the lens and actually speaking with the repair technician has significant value. where I live in LA, Canon factory service (and Fujinon I believe) has such a place.

JS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:10:23 pm

[Matt Sturns] "this site is soooo negative."
Actually this site is so real and the professionals who take the time to respond are amazing because they do this free when they could be paid to do this as production consultants.

The OP asked about repairs apparently not thinking about checking the manufacturer's site. Jay told him the obvious (at least obvious to any professional).

[Matt Sturns] "learn to communicate with real life experiences instead of the cliche 'google it'. "

Google is a real life research tool used by professionals. Too many people don't bother to do any research and expect the professionals on this site to be there only source.

As a professional, I often use Google to compare my knowledge to others before I give a personal response. I need to know whether my personal experience jives with others and if not, why not.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:25:12 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Too many people don't bother to do any research and expect the professionals on this site to be there only source."

Amen...!

Return to posts index

Matt Sturns
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:10:31 pm

The manufacturer is NOT always the best way of dealing with things. Have you tried dealing with SONY? They are known for their horrible customer service and shady business practices (I know from personal experience dealing with them for over 10 years of Pro Products including very recent experiences and to be honest it seems to get worse every year) Many other manufacturers have no phone, email or any way of getting ahold of them. Or you end up on the phone forever to find the manufacturers have no answers to your question in the first place. No I have found in real world experience contacting the manufacturer is many times the absolute wrong way to go. Many times I have found YouTube videos or specific websites the way to go, which I believe is the OP's original question. Have you googled recently? How much unreliable and false information is posted there? And yes, Obama IS a US Citizen, hehehehe...

the OP asked a legitimate question and was given a negative and snide answer. If this is the status quo for this site than so be it. Negativity and demeaning attitudes run rampant in this industry and I guess this site further fosters this type of behavior from the top down. If this behavior is tolerated and encouraged it clearly shows what type of organization this really is and proves the original point posted. I believe in helping others out not knocking them down. Also, you are not required to post a response. If you think he should have googled the question than please keep it to yourself instead of making others feel bad. I am sure he is aware of a search engine called Google.

(p.s. I am not trying to start trouble I just am trying to hopefully improve what I and many others perceive as a major fault to this website. While this website is an invaluable resource, it seems many times you need to take a good beating to get it. I am a film teacher and truly believe in positive attitude and thinking. Just trying to clean up the film industry's image one post at a time:) Just my 2 cents)

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Dec 2, 2009 at 10:28:46 pm

Matt, I too teaching filmmaking on both the undergraduate and graduate level (in addition to my business).

The question asked could have easily been answered by one minute of searching online. Far too many people these days are lazy--pure and simple. I see it both in and out of the classroom. As Craig pointed out, it's too easy to post a question here. Why do the work when you can find someone to do it for you?

You, as a teacher, should know that information gained through working for it is retained much, much longer than information simply handed over.

Besides, the OP wasn't offended, why should you be?

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:13:08 pm

If you want to save some cash and have a top notch repair done I would turn to:
ENG Optical Service
http://engoptical.homestead.com/

Ron has worked on many of my lenses and charges a fair price that is probably 50% less than manufacturer's shops.

I think this is what you were after-- a personal recommendation of a good service facility. Call Ron and see if he works on that lens.

George

Return to posts index

Jess Gomez
on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:45:22 pm

I contacted BHPhoto and they give me contact number of Sony. I tried Fujinon and they say they don't repair that lens only Sony does. So wth gotta go Sony and let's see what's gonna happen next.
Thanks for all your response.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:01:11 am

Sony actually doesn't repair the stock lens, they sell the same replacement lens for $869.00. They send back the damaged lens back to Fujinon for a core with the purchase of the new or should I say refurbished lens. If you haven't upgraded your firmware you will need to with the replacement lens, add a few more bucks to to deal, $100+.
The original part number is #A1629794A, there was issues with them.

You can find this lens on the service plus site #A1629794C

I didn't find this from google, however I did search around before calling the Sony Service center.

1-800 883-6817, options 2, then 5, then 2.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/PartsPlusResults.aspx?stype=parts

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Jess Gomez
on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:26:56 am

Wow. Thanks for the useful information. I'm pretty sure there's a lot EX 3 users out there who will be needing lens repair sometime in the future. Now we know.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Barnes
on Jul 27, 2011 at 6:59:01 pm

ENG Optical's web address is now: http://www.engoptical.com/ for anyone else looking for a lens shop

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]