FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shot 720/30p with shutter OFF for DVD. Am I toast?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Carty
Shot 720/30p with shutter OFF for DVD. Am I toast?
on Nov 27, 2009 at 3:26:58 pm

I just shot a project in 720/30p, but instead of using a 1/60 shutter speed, I had the shutter turned off.
The footage looks fine on a computer monitor, but when I view it on an interlaced broadcast monitor. it looks horrible. All of the interlaced lines appear. And when I convert the footage to MPEG2 and burn to DVD, it looks equally as bad.
My question is, is there any way to salvage the footage so that it can be viewed properly on DVD?
Maybe some conversion solution or After Effects plugin? Or a service I can send this out to for repair?
Any advice would be appreciated. My career may be on the line.

Happy Turkey Day

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Shot 720/30p with shutter OFF for DVD. Am I toast?
on Nov 27, 2009 at 3:58:12 pm

[Joe Carty] "The footage looks fine on a computer monitor, but when I view it on an interlaced broadcast monitor. it looks horrible. All of the interlaced lines appear"
Which interlaced lines?
Your footage is progressive.
I really don't know which kind of MPEG-2 compression you have done, but I've done many SD DVDs with progressive stuff and normally they look great both in a computer and in a cheap TV.
Iwould try in another interlaced TV.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Joe Carty
on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:40:02 pm

That makes me feel much better, thanks Rafael

Does that mean that in 720/30p the footage would look the same whether it was shot with the shutter off or using a 1/60 shutter? I just did a quick test, and other than a slight exposure shift, they seem to look the same on playback. I guess I'm asking if I made any kind of mistake not using the shutter.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 27, 2009 at 8:03:25 pm

Shutter Off, depending on the format used, would result in more motion blur which actually can be desirable in many situations. To but it another way, it can softer the "judderiness" of lower frame rates.

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:40:17 pm

Perhaps I have been wrong all this time... but I thought that when the shutter was off it just meant that the camera would shoot at the standard setting of 1/60. No?

Thanks in advance for you reply.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]