FORUMS: list search recent posts

Progressive shooting on Sony XDCAM EX

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ellison
Progressive shooting on Sony XDCAM EX
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:37:49 pm

Hey there,

Using the above camera I have been shooting for my clients on interlaced, 1080i50fps for quite a while now as that's how they'd been doing it thus far.

However, in the past I much prefer shooting 720p25 (pal region). I see that this camera has a HQ 1080p25fps option which is great, but when I select it and look through the viewfinder everything is very juddery. The framerate is at 1/50 and the framerate setting is set to 180*.

Any advice on how I could get a smoother look?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Warmest Regards,

Gary

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Progressive shooting on Sony XDCAM EX
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:48:07 pm

In 25p the EX sensors snap a complete frame 25 times a second, in 50i the sensors snap 50 fields (upper then lower) per second. This is a normal video look, much smoother than progressive. I prefer the progressive look, more filmic, you need to choose what works for you and the project.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:50:47 pm

Hey Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I understand what you're saying, and I too much prefer the progressive look, but when shooting this way in the past it didn't look quite as juddery as it does on the viewfinder here, so it leads me to believe I've got something wrong somewhere?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:55:21 pm

I believe you have the proper setting for a film look, including the shutter angle. If you have a lot of motion in this project you may want to shoot 50p.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:00:01 pm

Hey Michael,

Thanks once again. I don't believe there is a 1080p50 setting on this camera? There is a 720p50 setting though, which look do you prefer?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:07:39 pm

It would depend on the project for me, If fast cars needed to be shot for slow-motion then I would recommend 720 50p, and I may want to mix this with 720 25p for interviews or dialogue. If it were news you may consider the interlace options. I love 25p.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:27:50 pm

Hi Gary,

I just shot this past weekend with the EX1 @ 1080/24p. When using the LCD screen it looked fine. But when looking through the viewfinder it looked somewhat "jittery". Not sure why this would be.

My settings for a true film look are:

1080/24p
Shutter Angle @ 180
gain @ 0dB or -3dB
Picture Profile Gamma set to Cine2

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:31:56 pm

Hey Dave,

Where about is this Picture Profile Gamma? I've searched all over the menu settings and can't find it.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:40:36 pm

Push the Picture Profile button and search SET

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 25, 2009 at 11:25:49 pm

The Picture Profile discription for the EX1 starts at page 69 in the on-line instruction manual. For the EX3 it's page 86.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]