FORUMS: list search recent posts

PHU-120K Professional Hard Disk 120GB reliable for EX1R?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
PHU-120K Professional Hard Disk 120GB reliable for EX1R?
on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:42:39 pm

Hi

A quickie - anyone ever use this...PHU-120K Professional Hard Disk Recording Unit 120GB Up to 8 Hours Record Time...

If so should I buy this nearly $1000 item instead of SXS 32GB cards? Is this hard drive reliable and high quality for use with the new SONY EX1R?

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: PHU-120K Professional Hard Disk 120GB reliable for EX1R?
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:47:39 am

[Kent Beeson] "If so should I buy this nearly $1000 item instead of SXS 32GB cards? Is this hard drive reliable and high quality for use with the new SONY EX1R? "

I would assume so. A friend of mine rents one from time to time for his EX1 and has no trouble with it. Its limitation is that you can't record overcrank to it because of the USB interface (like SDHC 3rd party cards).
Using the PHU-120 with the EX1R would be exactly the same as with the EX1. Maybe rent one and try it out first before you buy and see if the unit will indeed fill your needs.

- Don

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:41:57 pm

Thanks for reply - I've been told though the draw back is unless one is recording an event with little or no movement of camera, it's always possible to bump, jar or drop the hard drive and lose (potentially) all material on the drive...bit risky, I guess I'll have to get the SxS's.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:54:06 pm

I don't trust portable hard drives either. They're an accident waiting to happen. Sony has announced a less expensive variant of the SxS cards (shorter lifespan). I'd get those before getting the PHU. Heck I'd get SDHC and adaptor before getting the PHU as well if you're looking for low cost. On the higher end there's the NanoFlash. Personally I think the PHU is a product without a viable niche.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]