FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip names/TC repeated acrss two cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kathleen lingo
Clip names/TC repeated acrss two cards
on Nov 20, 2009 at 11:35:28 pm

Hello All-

The other day I shot 1 hour and 45 minutes of footage. I had two Transcend 32 gig SDHC cards in the camera.

In analyzing the media I noted that the last three clips at the end of Card 1 and the first three clips at the start of Card 2 had the same clip names in the camera and some of the same timecode.
Both cards had clips named "983_0076_01-983_0077_01-983_0078_01"

These clips do not contain the same footage, however.

But the clips named 983_0076_01 both began at the same timecode.

This should not cause any issues in FCP because the roll will be different when it is ingested.

But why did this happen? Also, the cards were not bridged. But when the camera switched from one card to another the camera seemed to hiccup- and I had to re-set the iris and re-focus, etc- is this possible?? It was very strange.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Clip names/TC repeated acrss two cards
on Nov 21, 2009 at 12:06:58 am

What does 983_0075_01 look like? It was the last unique number before the issue so it might be worth having a look at. It's almost as if the camera thought it was picking up from that point two times. I've never experienced anything like that.

hiccup? Camera was drinking to much? Exactly what did it do that caused you to describe it as a hiccup?

Return to posts index

kathleen lingo
on Nov 21, 2009 at 12:11:50 am

Thank you for responding.

983_0075_01 looks normal.

The "hiccup" happened when all of a sudden the camera settings changed- I don't know that it happened at the exact moment the cards were switching, but that is my guess.

I am more concerned about why the camera recorded the clips names that way??

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 21, 2009 at 1:06:00 am

Hi Kathleen,

By the way, welcome to Creative COW. I'll try to address your concerns. Firstly, you didn't mention what model of EX camera you have or how old it is, which would actually help. I used to have an early EX1 and it had issues where the iris ring would lock without warning. There was no fix other than to turn the camera off and reboot it. It eventually went back to Sony for good because of that and other issues. I've never had an EX camera hiccup in the way you've described, although I don't doubt for a moment that it happened to you.

My current EX1 has also had file naming issues, where a bunch of clips were given numerical filenames out of sequence and they ended up at the head of the numerical "line" even though they were shot later in the day. I am currently unaware of any quick fix for your 2 issues, mostly because I haven't had the time to research or run any tests to see if the problems are repeatable or in the case of camera hiccups can be forced to re-occur. I've never had file naming issues with my EX3.

In the meantime, try the "Reset All" command in the menu, and after that, turn the camera off and pull the memory battery for 5 minutes. If you have any custom picture profiles write down the settings first before the reset or you'll lose them. Also reformat your Kensington cards.

If I come up with any solutions in the future I'll post them here.

- Don

Return to posts index

kathleen lingo
on Nov 21, 2009 at 1:32:24 am

Hi Don-

I have an EX1 bought in September of this year- but it was B stock.

Quick question... how do you reformat your cards?

Thanks!

Kathleen

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 21, 2009 at 2:36:00 am

[kathleen lingo] "how do you reformat your cards? "

With the camera. Menu > OTHERS > Format Media (at the bottom).

The Reset command is also in the 'Others' menu.

- Don

Return to posts index

kathleen lingo
on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:21:12 pm

Oh- of course- I thought maybe there was another way that I did not know about.

Still think this is an odd occurrence. I have worked with EX cameras and transferred hundreds and hundreds of hours of hours shot on cards into FCP and never seen the camera do this particular thing.

Hopefully, it won't happen again.

Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]