FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow options on an extremely limited budget

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason leblanc
workflow options on an extremely limited budget
on Nov 20, 2009 at 6:10:25 pm

I have been shooting on an ex-1 for 18months almost everyday on a docu drama series. I would like to know a work around to get the main concept watermark off without having to purchase anymore software, is this a possibility? Up until now i have just processed the footage and forwarded it to my post guy so I do not have any editing software with the exception of the sony clipbrowser what is a simple fix?
I would like to work on a few personal passion projects and do not have much of a budget, what is the feed back on final cut express??

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: workflow options on an extremely limited budget
on Nov 20, 2009 at 7:58:59 pm

[jason leblanc] "I have been shooting on an ex-1 for 18months almost everyday on a docu drama series. I would like to know a work around to get the main concept watermark off without having to purchase anymore software, is this a possibility?"

Not legally and in fact doing that is the kind of behavior that results in developers walking away from supporting certain environments. Buy the components or export from ClipBrowser in "native" codec and user other software to transcode.

[jason leblanc] "Up until now i have just processed the footage and forwarded it to my post guy so I do not have any editing software with the exception of the sony clipbrowser what is a simple fix?"

Nothing is broken. There is no "fix." Buy what you need and build it in to your costs. You're a professional.

[jason leblanc] "I would like to work on a few personal passion projects and do not have much of a budget, what is the feed back on final cut express??"

I don't think it supports the codec. The CalibratedSoftware plugins might work. That requires a purchase. You might contact them with the question.

If one can budget $7000-$10,000 for a camera kit it's not unreasonable to budget about $1200 for an NLE.

Return to posts index

jason leblanc
on Nov 20, 2009 at 8:38:25 pm

I realize that everything should be worked in to costing and a budget. I was taken aback buy by a watermark after upgrading and downloading plug-ins and such. It was a nasty surprise.

Thank you.

I am relatively new to this level of technology.

I was hoping to just be able to plug and play, so to speak.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 20, 2009 at 11:13:08 pm

If you want to use the EX master files (master quality) you can buy Adobe CS4 (Premiere uses EX files natively) or Final Cut Studio which can be used with the Free Sony XDCAM Transfer to re-wrap to MOV (no encode so no quality loss). In either case you need to buy the NLE package.

I can't imagine how any of the watermarked export formats would be for use in editing on the Mac.

If you shoot professionally it might be worth it to buy and NLE.

You could try exporting to DV AVI in ClipBrowser but that doesn't carry the time code and you're really be seriously damaging the quality and I don't know if iMovie would handle DV AVI but I suspect Final Cut Express can. I know Final Cut Pro will throw up a "complaint" because it's not a MOV file but it'll handle it non the less.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 20, 2009 at 9:51:55 pm

I'm going to echo Craig on this one. It's the cost of doing business. I don't know of any mechanics trying to do everything with a pliers and a crescent wrench because they are unable or unwilling to stock their toolbox with the right tools for the job. Such a mechanic would not be able to perform a job correctly, within the time allowed, resulting in any sort of quality reputation.

As a teenager I got my foot in the door when the only people producing anything were the ones that had hundreds of thousands of dollars to invest in equipment. That's why you'll find people who've been in the business for a while to be especially cranky when someone balks at spending $1200 on something vital to doing your job.

When we prepared to transition from shooting standard definition DV/DVCAM to high definition XDCAM, I was adamant about telling everybody in the building that certain costs were going to go up. Taking the next step in quality, I pointed out, was going to require some investment in hardware and software as well as more care in preparing and setting up each shoot. Suddenly we're dealing with a widescreen format that will expose every little imperfection in lighting, background, and even makeup. The only nice thing about DVCAM by comparison is that it concealed many of those things. Once again, it comes with the territory.

If you're not able to spend the money for an NLE, I'm curious about other aspects of your workflow. If you threw all your resources at just the camera, you're going to be lacking in other very important areas. How's your lighting? Are you archiving?

Cf

Return to posts index

jason leblanc
on Nov 20, 2009 at 10:08:08 pm

Thank god my post production guy is a genius.

I handle all things pertaining to pre-production and production.

I shoot sort and backup.. He edits, archives and everything post.

I stand corrected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]