FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX-1 Color Depth

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Leisher
Sony EX-1 Color Depth
on Nov 20, 2009 at 5:09:26 am

Hey everyone,

I produced a short film earlier this year on the Sony EX-1 based on my Director and DPs request/Suggestion.

The images came out looking great, but some of the scenes were darker and some were brigher.

I've been looking into DPX and EXR images, and based ont he OpenEXR website they were able to correct for this under/over exposure problem in some of their images.

I'd love to try to do the same, so I've asked my editor to export an OpenEXR image sequence and I'm going to color correct based on that.. hoping for that extra color depth.

My question is, does the Sony EX-1 shoot in a color bit depth that would allow me to make a sizable difference with OpenEXR images... or am I screwed to dealing with this over/under exposure in the final film?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Sony EX-1 Color Depth
on Nov 20, 2009 at 5:32:01 am

[Tyler Leisher] "or am I screwed to dealing with this over/under exposure in the final film?"

You're not screwed and it is worth a shot. There's actually more colour info in the EX 4:2:0 frame than there is in, say, a 4:2:2 Panny HPX 200 frame because of increased pixel density with the EX picture. It's just basic math. Before you try Open EXR you might want to re-compress some of your problem EX footage to ProRes or another similar Windows editing codec and start pushing your CC. You'll probably be surprised at the results.

- Don

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Sony EX-1 Color Depth
on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:14:37 pm

I've been able to do some pretty impressive rescue work on EX footage I was given that was...well, not good.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]