FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1 or Panasonic HPX-170

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurence Wallace
Sony EX1 or Panasonic HPX-170
on Nov 18, 2009 at 7:49:24 pm

Hi everyone:
I'm debating betw these two cameras. I like the ergonomics of the Panasonic better than the Sony. I currently have a MacBook Pro (from 2006) with the slot on the side that takes Sony's SxS cards.

Questions:
1) I'm thinking of getting a new iMac. But it doesn't have a slot for the SxS card. I heard the new MacBook Pro 17" still has the slot. But I want an iMac with a big screen for editing. If I get a new iMac does this take the Sony EX1 out of the picture for me in terms of a streamlined workflow?

2) I've heard SxS cards shoot for longer periods of time at the same resolution as P2 cards. If this is the case, and if I have the option of getting either the Sony EX1 or the Panasonic HPX-170, would I be sacrificing video quality by opting for the Panasonic?

Any guidance much appreciated...

Thanks.

-Laurence Wallace

Laurence Wallace
http://www.laurencewallace.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony EX1 or Panasonic HPX-170
on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:43:19 pm

[Laurence Wallace] "1) I'm thinking of getting a new iMac. But it doesn't have a slot for the SxS card. I heard the new MacBook Pro 17" still has the slot. But I want an iMac with a big screen for editing. If I get a new iMac does this take the Sony EX1 out of the picture for me in terms of a streamlined workflow? "

Sony sells an SxS to USB card reader. If you go the SDHC adaptor route any SDHC reader will work too.

[Laurence Wallace] "2) I've heard SxS cards shoot for longer periods of time at the same resolution as P2 cards. If this is the case, and if I have the option of getting either the Sony EX1 or the Panasonic HPX-170, would I be sacrificing video quality by opting for the Panasonic? "

XDCAM codec is more efficient than DVCProHD. It does this by using a GOP based format.
EX also has 1/2" chips at full 1920x1080 resolution. This means better Depth of Field Control and better low light performance for the EX and more detail in the image (much higher horizontal resolution for example).

Personally I don't consider the HPX-170 competitive at all. The HPX-300 might be worth an argument but even that's still 1/3 chips though.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Nov 18, 2009 at 9:18:32 pm

You're trying to compare apples to oranges.

Sony beats the Panny, period.

BTW, the SxS cards hold 300% more for 10% less.

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Nov 19, 2009 at 2:13:01 pm

Hi there,

The USB reader is available but is just plain slow. I would encourage a 17" MBP. The native resolution on the MBP is 1920x1200 the same as the 24 inch iMac but in a smaller package. Using the express card slot on the MBP is way faster than the USB reader.

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:08:24 pm

Nick, I think you've posted to the wrong thread.

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Nov 19, 2009 at 11:30:03 pm

No Jay, Question 1 reads...

1) I'm thinking of getting a new iMac. But it doesn't have a slot for the SxS card. I heard the new MacBook Pro 17" still has the slot. But I want an iMac with a big screen for editing. If I get a new iMac does this take the Sony EX1 out of the picture for me in terms of a streamlined workflow?

Nick

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Nov 20, 2009 at 1:01:25 am

Sorry. My bad!

Return to posts index

Yves Chauvel
on Nov 22, 2009 at 1:23:33 pm

I trained 6 Directors of Photography last year on two handheld cameras: The Sony EX1 and Panasonic HVX200 (Don't know if this is relevant for you as you compare with a 170)

A the end, all of them commented the same way:
The EX1 was the winner, for the following reasons:
- Better resolution
- Better low light capabilities
- Better Depth of field control
- Better ergonomics (yes!)
- Better image ajustements.

This comment comes from a Pal land. quite sure this wont change anything regarding a "ntsc" signal or 30 fps vs 25 fps.

Hope this can help...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]