FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy filenames in XDCAM Transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Green
Proxy filenames in XDCAM Transfer
on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:04:44 am

Hi there

I have recently been capturing material in XDCAM transfer with the intention of having someone else work with the proxy files for a rough cut, and then re-link at the end to the HD material.

However, the proxy filenames to not match/clone the original. In XDCAM prefs I have it so that the HD files generate the source name (disc name) and then the default generated clip number eg: Disc1_C0001

However, when the proxy files are created ( by selecting the clips and going CLip>ExportProxy movies to Folder) they only include the clip name (C0001) and not the source name (Disc1) . With lots of discs, it means that all the proxy files have similar if not the same names.

Is there a way to make the proxies clone the filename? This seems like an obvious thing and something that was meant for proxy workflow and yet I can't see how to do it. It could be that I am going about this all wrong.

BTW this is a FCP edit.

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
Re: Proxy filenames in XDCAM Transfer
on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:53:45 pm

I don't think there are any options for the proxy filenames. The clip title may go if you select 'Show Title' from the view menu but that is not helpful for what you want to do.

The only thing I can think of is to export the proxies to a separate folder for each disc, the folder having the same name as the disc. Then you could use an Applescript to add the containing folder name onto the contained files.

Definitely not ideal, but it will save you having to rename every single file. If you need a script, I'll post one.

Return to posts index

Simon Green
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:57:07 am

Hi Daniel

thanks for that. I had thought as much. I am a bit of applescript/automator idiot so if you have a script and some instructions to implement then that would be really really helpful.

Thanks you so much

Simon

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 19, 2009 at 1:42:24 pm

Daniel
You might want to drop a quick note to Peter Barrett (aka Fearless) as he's done just this in the past ... a very nice guy, he used to be a regular contributor to the FCP forums especially on the XDCAM workflow front but has been quiet of late. His "Proximate" helper tool is exactly what you need for the renaming work. You should be able contact him via his webpage:
http://homepage.mac.com/fearless/FileSharing32.html
Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:59:57 am

>This seems like an obvious thing and something that was meant for proxy workflow

Simon

An offline proxy / online hi res workflow has never been advocated by either Sony or Apple when working with XDCAM and FCP ... everything about the integration of the toolset on the Mac has been towards a full online only workflow. A few folks have successfully developed their own proxy workflows for sure, but there has never been anything "obvious" about them.

Recently however things have changed on this front. Bouke Vahl of VideoToolshed has created a toolset that is designed to enable a straightforward Mac/ FCP based proxy workflow, and whilst his tools are never too pretty to look at they do get the job done. Here's what you want to look at:
XDCAM Extract: http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=40

If you are intent on pursuing an XDCAM proxy based workflow in FCP then you check this one out.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:42:22 pm

Thanks for the tip, Andy. Actually, I'm surprised there aren't a few more scripters about.

Here's an Applescript that should do the renaming trick. When run a file chooser window will open, asking you to select folders. Simply select the folder(s) containing your .mov files to be renamed.

The script will only change the names of files with a .mov extension. This is to prevent damage if it is inadvertently pointed at the wrong folder.

To use it:
1. Open Script Editor (it's in Applications>Applescript).
2. Copy and Paste the script into Script Editor
3. Click the Compile button at the top

The text should now change colour. If it doesn't then you probably missed a bit when you copied the script or a there's a line break half way through a line.

4. Click the Run button and choose some test folders containing some .mov files

The files should now have been renamed 'foldername_moviename.mov'

5. Choose Save As... from Script Editor's File menu
6. Set the File Format to Application
7. Enter a name for your script
8. Make sure the three check boxes are unchecked
9. Click Save

You should now have a little Applescript application that can be run simply by double-clicking on the icon.

The script:

set the_folders to choose folder with prompt "Choose the containing folders" with multiple selections allowed

tell application "Finder"

repeat with current_folder in the_folders

set source_name to name of current_folder

set the_proxies to (every item of current_folder whose name extension is "mov")

repeat with current_proxy in the_proxies

set new_name to source_name & "_" & name of current_proxy

set the name of current_proxy to new_name

end repeat

end repeat

end tell

Return to posts index

Peter Barrett
on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:50:38 am

Hi Simon, thanks Andy for the heads-up.

I built Proximate a while ago to copy the proxies stored in the ~/Library/XDCAM Transfer folder and rename them in a folder named according to the XD disc - which means if a disc isn't named in the field, naming it in the Finder is a good idea... it's an AppleScript droplet that parses the SQLite database that XDCAM Transfer writes to, to accurately correlate 64-character hex proxy names to the Cxxx naming convention of the original files. Certainly useful for logging and DVD rushes creation. I'll see if I can dig out the latest version.

Ü

Macs, FCP, Avid, Nitris DX, Color, HDCAM...

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:13:05 am

Step 1:
Install XDCAM Transfer 2.11.0 (go to Sony Canada!)
Step 2:
tell application "XDCAM Transfer"
import clip 1 of source 1 to import location filename (display name of source 1) & "_" & (filename of clip 1 of source 1) as proxy
end tell
;-)

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:35:11 pm

Robert,

I have just completed a script to get the umid into the Log Note column in FCP. This involved digging the umid out of the .mov file and sticking it into the xml produced by XDCAM Transfer, which I was then going to drag onto FCP.

Now I find that I can simply get XDCAM Transfer to set the comment field of every clip to its umid in a few lines of Applescript and import like normal people.

Sony kept this one quiet, didn't they? This is a powerful new feature and it wasn't even mentioned in the readme notes.

Good spot!

Return to posts index

Simon Green
on Dec 1, 2009 at 12:11:00 pm

Thanks for all your help on this one. I have a new batch of XDCAM to do next week so I will be putting these in to practice and letting you know!

Thanks again

Simon

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
on Dec 2, 2009 at 9:58:25 pm

No probs, Simon. Good luck with it.

Incidentally, you probably noticed that Robert only alluded to a solution. I've added to it a bit so that it will work. The following script will import the clips that are currently selected in XDCAM Transfer as proxy with the 'Disc1_C0001.MOV' filenames. They will be imported to the location set in XDCAM Transfer's preferences.

tell application "XDCAM Transfer"
set selected_clips to clip selection
repeat with nth_clip in selected_clips
import nth_clip to import location filename (display name of source of nth_clip) & "_" & (filename of nth_clip) as proxy
end repeat
end tell

If you make a little .app file (as previously described) and drag it into your dock, you can use it just like an 'Import as proxy' button.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]